Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I think my dog ate a vitamin pill, baby aspirin and vitamin

Customer Question
D. What should I do?...
I think my dog ate a vitamin pill, baby aspirin and vitamin D. What should I do?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/22/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long ago?

What was the milligrams/strength of each one?

What is in the vitamin?

How much does he weigh?

5000 iu Vitamin D
Low dose aspirin
Adult multivitamin
He might have eaten it about 20 mins. Ago. He weighs 16 lbs.

Thank you,

Was that low dose aspirin less then 160mg?

80 mg.

Good.

In that case, the aspirin dose is thankfully low enough that it is not toxic. It could cause stomach upset if that stomach is empty, but is not likely do more than that. As well, the Vitamin D dose is not a toxic level for his weight either. Finally, without knowing what is in your vitamin specifically, I cannot comment on any trace minerals (ie iron, zinc, etc). That said, most of the time one standard adult vitamin won't cause major harm for a dog.

With this all in mind, we don't need to be overly worried here. We would only want to get him to eat a bit (so the stomach isn't empty) and monitor/treat for any short term GI upset. So, for the moment and for the next few days, you can consider feeding small meals of a light diet. Examples of an easily digestible diet include cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). As well, if you did see any signs of nausea, then we can also treat with an antacid. There are a number of antacids that are available over the counter and pet friendly. I would advise only treating with one, but the two I tend to use are: Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)or Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac).These are usually given 20 minutes before offering food (to allow absorption)and of course you want to double check with your vet before use if your wee one has any pre-existing health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned.

Overall, nothing that you have listed the doses to is a worry in this case. Therefore, we'd just want to monitor and treat for any stomach upset if seen.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian