Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

We got a puppy from overseas two weeks ago and it has had

Customer Question

We got a puppy from overseas two weeks ago and it has had diarrhea since. We have done three stool samples to the vet who even sent it out to the lab and the stool is clear. We are also giving him panacure to be on the safe side, and it's still not clearing up. There's no blood-just explosive diarrhea that shoots out. Supplementing his food with yogurt and pumpkin. Using bottled water as well as the same food that came with him. Any suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Was a full fecal sample done? Or since there have been 3 samples, was this just a test for Giardia?

What foods have you tried?

Any other treatments?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Full fecal. Actually the first sample he bad coccidiosis but we used an out of the country cure -Baycox, which eliminates it in a day or two. Since that first sample, his stool has been completely clear of anything. We are just using the royal canin food that came with him along with pumpkin and yogurt and a powder probiotic. Panacure is all we are giving him right now medication-wise but it has been two weeks of diarrhea
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Now I am glad to hear that infectious issues have been ruled, that you are also using a probiotic, and that you have cleared the Coccidia.

In his case, I would be suspicious that we may have residual diarrhea from the damage the coccidia has done to the lower GI. Often in the wake of severe infections, we see malabsorption until the gut heals. Therefore, I do think you will want to keep up on everything as you are but I would also suggest a trial on an easily digestible diet. Specifically, you could have his local vet dispense an easy to digest diet like Hills I/D, Royal Canin Gastrointestinal diet or Sensitivity Control. Alternatively, you could even use a diet of cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, scrambled egg, or meat baby food (as long as its free from garlic or onion powder). Ideally, we want to offer this as small frequent meals. As this is easy to digest, we'd expect the gut to deal with this better, absorb more, and therefore see the diarrhea reduce.

Finally, further to this, I would suggest using a puppy safe anti-diarrheal like Kaolin/Kaopectate (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/kaolin-and-pectin-kapectolin-k-p). This is OTC at most pharmacies but there are also OTC kaolin/probiotic pastes (ie FastBalance, Canikur, Protexin Prokolin, Propectalin) that can be used in pups. This will just absorb some of the fluid in the loose stool, help bulk things up, and again reduce the diarrhea load for the short term as we let that gut heal.

Overall, we can see diarrhea in pups for a range of reasons. Though in your wee one's case, this sounds highly suspicious of malabsorption due to damage in the gut from the coccidia. Therefore, you have done everything right so far, but the above additions can help further reduce those loose stools as we give that gut time to heal from that nasty protozoal infection.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
Hi Paul,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet