Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

I dropped a water pill and one of my goes may have swallowed

Customer Question

I dropped a water pill and one of my goes may have swallowed it. Hydrochlorothiozide 25mg
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about your dogs possibly getting this pill. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How much do the dogs weigh? Likely getting a single dose of HCT 25 mg will not do any harm; the most you will see is excess drinking and urination for a few hours. If the larger dog got the pill, that is the worst that could happen.

Guessing that the smaller dog might weigh around 6 pounds, he could show other symptoms such as vomiting and diarrhea, or sedation. He could have his blood potassium get low which could cause weakness. Usually we see these symptoms in dogs taking this drug over a period of time, but a single overdose could cause some of these problems.

Since we don't know if/which dog got the pill, I would monitor them. If the smaller dog starts to vomit, or act different, I would take him to your vet to be examined and maybe have his blood potassium measured just to be safe.

Let me know what else I can answer or help with. Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 1 year ago.

How are the dogs now? I hope you were able to see what I sent. Can I help with anything else?