Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Cleaned dogs ears ,cotton from swab got stuck, best way to

Customer Question

cleaned dogs ears ,cotton from swab got stuck, best way to get it out?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello, and welcome.

My name is***** I am an experienced small animal veterinary surgeon and I will be very pleased to work with you today and will try my best to answer your question to your satisfaction.

1. I know this may not be what you want to hear, but if you cannot see it visually and then retrieve it with fine tweezers then there is nothing more you can safely do, poking too far down will just drive this object deeper and potentially damage the ear drum.

2. The best thing to do is to have your local vet take a look, they will easily be able to remove it with an otoscope and fine crocodile forceps.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
is there any damage for the dog shaking her head constantly, she already has back problems

Hello again,

Very glad to talk this over with you further.

It would be unusual for this to cause damage in the short term { say one or two days } but the sooner it is removed the better. It will be a very easy task for your vet to do this ...

Regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Sam is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the cotton bud incident ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.