Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog has ticks. She has scabs and we tried treating her

Customer Question

My dog has ticks.
She has scabs and we tried treating her with special shampoo but they came back. We don't know where they are coming from, but they appear to be baby ticks, so we think they might have laid eggs and thats how she got the new ones. how do we get rid of them? how do we treat the scabs? how can help her so she isn't chronically scratching? They seem to be all over her.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your situation, and wanted to help.

Are the scabs in places where you have removed ticks?

Is there any swelling under them or discharge/pus?

Have you only used a tick shampoo with her?

Does the rash have any pimples, pustules, or crusting/scaling of the skin?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the scabs are there but it's everywhere. They are red bites everywhere and she's scratching to the point of bleeding. There isn't any discharge or pus, but yesterday after trying to bald her (to see her skin to be the best of our abilities/she's a hairy dog) we found little collections of tiny ticks especially around her ears. We have used shampoo again yesterday, and then used this hot spot anti infection on the many parts of irration. She still plays, eats, and sleeps. It's just the scratching and ticks, and scabs that we are worried about and need help on how to get rid/ treat her.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

First, tick shampoo doesn't tend to have the longevity we need to protect dogs. Especially since when bathing them, they ticks will hide in those hard to shampoo areas (ie ears, armpits, around the eyes, nose, etc). Therefore, I'd strongly advise treating her with a strong good quality ant-tick spot on (ie Advantix). That way the treatment diffuses into the skin everywhere and will drive those juvenile ticks away from her. Furthermore, since you have small juvenile ticks present, I would also suggest treating your house. This is a parasite that can leave the host (and often does to lay eggs or molt), so while we want to protect her, we need to get rid of those ticks so that you do not end bitten too.

Once we have the primary issue under control, we can work to settle that skin. Now I am glad that you are not seeing any signs of infection but we need to work fast to make sure that remains the case. To do so, we need to first address her self-trauma. To reduce her itchiness, you can try her with an antihistamine. Most commonly we use Benadryl/Diphenhydramine (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/diphenhydramine-benadryl). A low dose (ie. 0.5-2 mg per pound of their body weight twice daily) can just be enough to reduce that allergic irritation. We like to keep the dose low, as it can cause drowsiness (just like people). And of course, this medication shouldn't be used if your wee one has any pre-existing conditions or is on any other medication without speaking to your vet first. Of course, if she is very severe and this isn't enough, we may need a short course of steroids from her vet to allay that irritation.

For topical care, you want to cleanse any open lesions (using dilute chlorohexidine or salt water) and then can use your spray as needed. Though to further protect the skin, you may need to put a small t-shirt +/- boxer shorts (turned backwards so that there is a hole for her tail) to just proved a breathable cover to protect her skin. As well, if she is chewing the skin, she may need to even wear an e-collar for the short term. That way we are letting the skin have a break and a chance to heal.

Overall, this sounds like you have a house infestation of ticks if she is being attacked by juvenile ones. Therefore, we'd want to treat the house to break that cycle but also make sure we are protecting her with a tick spot-on. That way we can reach everywhere on her to prevent them from biting her any more. And if we can stop that for her, reduce her irritation with antihistamines and help those lesions heal; we should be able to get her settled and feeling like herself.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
25 mg
can you we give lucy this twice day she around 12 pounds?
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Since that is a bit over the top end of the dose for her (6-24mg), try her on a quarter to a half first.

All the best,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
nekovet