How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Dr. Michael Salkin Your Own Question
Dr. Michael Salkin
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Category: Dog Veterinary
Satisfied Customers: 28936
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
Type Your Dog Veterinary Question Here...
Dr. Michael Salkin is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My dog is about 75 pounds and ate an eight of a container of

Customer Question

My dog is about 75 pounds and ate an eight of a container of the small bag of shakeology, chocolate flavor, will she be okay?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I looked at the ingredient list of that product and found only chocolate flavor - not chocolate-containing theobromine which is the toxic xanthine derivative similar to caffeine in chocolate. There's nothing else in that product in an amount worrisome to a 75 lb dog. I wouldn't induce emesis nor treat in any manner. Transient gastrointestinal distress is always possible after ingesting such an unfamiliar food but toxicity shouldn't occur. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.