Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 6 month old German Shepard is 6 months old and had tpo

Customer Question
surgery on his hip 7...
My 6 month old German Shepard is 6 months old and had tpo surgery on his hip 7 days ago, is still in hospital in medical boarding. Just got call from surgeon that he has to go back in because his screw came out of the bottom plate..my puppy had tpo surgery
at 5 months on his first hip and one screw became a little loose but all is healing and fine. What would cause a screw to come completely out ? Like I mentioned he's in medical boarding where the surgery was performed
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/20/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about this situation with Remi. Did the surgeon say that the plate and screws looked good after the surgery - post operative films? Did you ask them why a screw would come completely out?

all 3 screws post operation and wire all looked good. On 6th day all three scews came out they said it can just happen. He also has nerve damage in that paw due to the bone shift and pressing on the spine. He placed Remi on morphine for pain and waited 12 hours before taking X-rays and performing surgery to repair..

That is interesting! For three screws to migrate out, I would be curious is the tap was done in a size to large and the threading on the screws being used didn't bite into the receiving bone. Basically could the screw have just been smaller than the hole that was created to place them in. I would be curious to hear if they specifically dos anything different with the second surgery to improve the odds that this doesn't happen again. Sometimes surgical procedures just don't heal / hold as intended. I'm hoping everything is going better here after this second procedure.

the surgeon showed me both post op X-rays and used larger screws the second time to do repair on bottom plate. I'm surprised it just happened and the surgeon is reputable. Also considering his first tpo done on other hip was successfully. But what about nerve damage to his paw? They agreed it was due to the bone pushing on his spine when screws came out and they waited too long to repair. There claiming it should heal itself. They don't believe the nerve was severed but badly bruised. How long would it take for nerve to repair itself and get use of his paw back? Do you agree it can repair itself and regain use

Nerve injuries are the ultimate unpredictable situation. Could there be some pressure or injury to the nerve that will subside with time? That is the hope. Can the nerve regain its normal function? There is no way to know specifically and all that can be done is to give time and physical therapy / supportive care so they don't injure the tissues of that leg. Specifically not dragging it to cause sores with it. Using booties to protect it may be needed. The surgeon that did the surgery did their best job and sometimes things just don't go as planned. It is the unfortunate way of medicine. It can sometimes throw a curve ball when least expected. The physical therapy for the leg will help to keep up mobility and flexibility while hopefully the function returns.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Remi. How is everything going?
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian