Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My do is having pain on s left side around the area where s

Customer Question
My do is having pain...
My do is having pain on his left side around the area where his ribs end. He's been up all night and is favoring that side when he is standing. He has had diarrhea for the last couple days. But now he doesn't seem like he wants to poop at all. He whimpers about it which means he is in a lot of pain as he's usually got a very high threshold for pain. I don't think he has slept much if at all because of it.
I gave him a bone a couple nights ago- he usually has no problem with this as he is a bigger dog.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
He hasn't popped since earlier tonight. No vomiting or retching.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Actually cancel that phone call bit. I'd like to type our answers do I can refer to them later.
10/20/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Peter, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. I am sorry to learn Ollie is in pain. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- Did the pain start before or after trying to jump on the truck?

2- Is he trying to defecate or not attempting at all?

3- Is he eating and drinking?

4- Any abdominal swelling?

He yelped a bit earlier and I found that he had some pain there but I hadn't noticed that he was in pain before that. Once he did he jump on the truck he started crying about it so I brought him inside. And he was from that point on more sensitive and freaked out by it.He's not trying to defacate the past couple times we went out.I did feel him some treats and he ate those. He has just been laying here with slightly labored breath. He did drink some water when I offer it to him but not a lot.I don't see any abdominal swelling.

Friend, I am sorry I am going to opt out so another expert can help you. I will be going offline in a minute and don't want you waiting. Sorry.

Dog Veterinarian: Doc Sara, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian

I'm sorry to hear that Ollie isn't feeling well, but thanks for providing that extra bit of information.

Based on your description my first thought would be that maybe Oliie has injured himself or has a sore back. It's not unusual for them to be quite painful and have difficulty moving around when their back is sore. Also, just like us, sometimes there was no discernible reason or injury that led up to the soreness. Slipped discs are quite common. Depending on your location, sometimes tick borne diseases like lyme disease can cause ill-defined pain that seems to be "all over" or difficult to localize. In my experience, these guys can be VERY painful just about anywhere.

Check to be sure that his gums are bubble gum pink - if they are pale or have any sort of blue or purple tinge, then I'd seek emergency care. I am a bit concerned by your description of labored breathing. If he's truly having any difficulty breathing, this also is something I recommend emergency evaluation to investigate. If his breathing is not labored, it also might be reasonable to continue to monitor him, although if he's not improving or he is worsening, I'd suggest having him looked at by your veterinarian.

How is he doing now? Let me know if I can answer any other questions for you

~Dr. Sara

Doc Sara
Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian