Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

Our puggle is 7 months old. He has just started grinding s

Customer Question

Our puggle is 7 months old. He has just started grinding his teeth. Should I be concerned?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. Is he showing any other symptoms of any kind { No matter how minor } ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so. We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for the quick reply. He is not showing any other symptoms. He is very energetic and eating as usual.

Hello again and thanks for waiting.

Teeth grinding in dogs can occur in two common situation as I have outlined for you below ...

1. At seven months of age he will just be completing his transition from puppy teeth to adult teeth. It is possible that there has been a malocclusion meaning that one of his adult teeth has come through in the wrong position or at the wrong angle and is in abnormal contact with another tooth, hence the grinding. Also you can sometimes get persistent milk teeth which can have the same effect. Some minor dental work can often resolve these issues.

2. Dogs can sometimes grind their teeth when they are stressed, perhaps by some disease condition or by some outside factor, but from what you have told me so far this does not seem likely.

What to do about it? : Unfortunately there will be very little you can hope to do on a home remedy basis so it would be best to have your vet check Rocco over. Of course have a good look in his mouth yourself and see if there is anything obvious going on but some malocclusions can be subtle and hard to spot. Your vet will also check for any disease related stress factor.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Rocco. How is everything going?

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how Rocco is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the teeth grinding ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.