Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has been diagnosed with cataracts and my pet

Customer Question
insurance does not cover the...
my dog has been diagnosed with cataracts and my pet insurance does not cover the cost.
Where can I get free surgery such as being able to go to a training veterinary school
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
10/20/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Jess K, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian

Hello, I am sorry to hear about Freckles cataracts, and very sorry to hear that his insurance won't cover the cost. Did you speak with someone at the insurance company to double check?

Unfortunately, although many people assume veterinary schools perform procedures for free because they are teaching hospitals, that is usually not the case, unless there is a doctor there who is researching a new procedure or drug and need pets for an experimental trial, in those cases sometimes the cost will be covered since it is an experimental procedure. You can always call the veterinary college to check and see if any studies are going on, or some schools may have funds for pets whose owners can't afford treatment. You can find a list of vet schools at https://www.avma.org/ProfessionalDevelopment/Education/Accreditation/Colleges/Pages/colleges-accredited.aspx.

Another option would be trying to find a charitable organization that may help you out. The Humane Society has a list on their website at http://www.humanesociety.org/animals/resources/tips/trouble_affording_pet.html?credit=web_id91754962

I hope this information may help you in some way! If you have any other questions please let me know. If not, please take a moment to rate the answer to your question so we know you are satisfied. Good luck!

Jess K
Jess K
Jess K, Dog Veterinarian