Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

My dog just started getting sick last night. Throwing up

Customer Question

My dog just started getting sick last night. Throwing up clear liquids. She can drink water but then turn around and vomit it up. She just lays around and I can tell she doesn't feel good. Will not eat.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Are her gums pink or pale/white? Moist or sticky?

If you press on her belly,does she have any discomfort, tenderness, or tensing?

Could she have eaten something she should not have (ie bones, toys, rocks, plants, chemicals, etc)?

Has she had any diarrhea?

How much Pepto did you give? How much does she weigh?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Gums are pink to white and dry. No discomfort or tenderness in her abdomen. She had one loose bowel movement. I gave her 1/2 teaspoon of pepto and she weighs 20 pounds. I can't tell you if she ate anything last night because I was at work. Before I went to work she had a good appetite.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I meant her gums are pink to red. I also wormed her when I got home this morning .
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Nose is warm and dry.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She is also just coming out of heat.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you,

Was that a wormer she has had before (so we can make sure its not playing at least a partial role here in her nausea)?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I have given her it once before with no adverse reactions
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you again,

First, I am glad to hear they are pink/red as opposed to pale/white.

Now based on the signs we are seeing, we do have a few concerns. Common causes we need to consider include bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, pancreatitis, parasites/protozoa infections, general dietary indiscretions, and ingestion of harmful items (ie toxins, plants, non-edible items).

With this all in mind, if she is struggling to keep water down then we do need to tread with care. This is because dogs that nauseous often need us to bypass their mouths with injectable anti-vomiting treatment. Still, at this stage, you can try resting her stomach. Food should be withheld but you can give her small sips of water. Once she is more steady, you can try her with an antacid. Common dog friendly options we can use include:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)

And I would note that these are better the Pepto (which is more useful for diarrhea cases). Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do check with her vet before use if she has any known health issues or is on any medications you didn’t mention. As well, if you try this and find her nausea too severe to keep it down, then again that is a red flag that we need her local vet to treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Still if she can keep this down and settles, we can then start her on on a light/easily digestible diet. Start with a small volume (a spoonful). Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish,cottage cheese, scrambled eggs, or meat baby food (as long as its garlic/onion free). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. When you offer that spoonful, give her 30 minutes to settle. If she keeps the food down, you can give a bit more and so on. As her stomach stabilizes, you can offer more. The aim of these diets is that it will be better tolerated and absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise that the diet be continued until her signs are settled, and that they are then slowly weaned back to their normal diet.

Now since dehydration is a risk here,we need to keep an eye on her hydration. To check this and ensure he’s not becoming dehydrated, there are a few things you can test. Further to checking for gum moisture, you will want to make sure her eyes are not looking sunken and that she doesn’t have a "skin tent" when you lift the skin. To see how to check these parameters for dehydration, you can find a good video HERE (http://www.ehow.com/video_12232503_dog-dehydrated.html). If you are seeing any signs of dehydration already, then that would be our cue to have her seen before this becomes an additional issue for her (especially as it is often dehydration that makes them feel unwell).

Overall, a wide range of agents could trigger the GI upset we are seeing. Therefore, in her case, we’d want to start by resting her stomach and then initiating the above supportive care. If she cannot keep that down, appears dehydrated already, or doesn’t respond to the above within 12-24hours; then we'd want to get her vet involved. They can assess her hydration, rule out fever, make sure there is nothing in her stomach that shouldn't be there or any sinister viruses present. Depending on their findings, her vet can treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication +/- antibiotics to settle her stomach, and get her back feeling like herself.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks, ***** ***** trying to rest right now. If she is not any better by the am I will take her to her normal vet.
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

You are very welcome,

If she is resting, that is fine to let her continue to do so before using any supportive care. Otherwise that sounds like an good plan of action.

Take care,

Dr. B.

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 1 year ago.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with any issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)