Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog is having difficulty breathing, sounding very

Customer Question
congestied, his eyes are glazed...
My dog is having difficulty breathing, sounding very congestied, his eyes are glazed over with gook that I am cleaning daily and appears to have a fever. What can I do until tomorrow till I get to my vet?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/18/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Buddy. My name is Rebecca. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

How long has he been sick?

Is he eating, and drinking?

If you check his gums, are they pink in color, or do they look pale? This is an Info Request, to help me answer your questions. Rebecca

Hi, thank you for your response. He has been sick for a couple weeks and this week it got worse. He is not eating as much as he usually does I will check his gums, I am at work now

It is good that he is eating something.

Is the congestion so bad that he has to breathe with his mouth open? Is the congestion in his lungs, or his nose, or both?

If the gums are pink, that is a good sign. If you can take a rectal temperature, normal is between 101 and 102.

If he has to open mouth breathe, or if his gums are pale, that is serious.

At home, try to keep him hydrated by keeping him eating and drinking. You can offer broth or Pedialyte to get extra fluids into him. If his nose is congested, you can use over the counter children's nose drops.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer. Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. The website only credits me for helping you, if you rate my answer. Please let me know how he is doing and what other questions you have.

Thank you. His nose has been crusty for 4 months. This is how it started and vet didn't think serious. Since then he hasn't been the same. Heavy breathing, the eyes, very sad, just wants to be held
Sorry for the delay, I am a cop and was working traffic. I get off work and will be with him by 205pm

I am sorry, but I can't do phone calls for the website. I can continue to help you here, or opt out for another expert to help you who can phone.

When you see your vet the next time, you could have a sample of the crusts from the nose examined microscopically to see it that tells us what is wrong.

I don't know when 2:05 is for you; I am in Mountain Time and it is 11:32 here now. No problems about the delay; let me know if I can continue to help you or if you would prefer another expert who can make a phone call. Rebecca

he is always shivering like he is cold. I thought that was a sign they r in pain?
I would love to just talk to you thank you

Shivering can be a sign of pain, fever, stress, internal disease.

ok, I will be with him in 30 minutes and check him and look at his gums. Can I still talk to you then? when I get home and am with him?

Yes, you can pick up this thread again anytime. You can pick it up again by going to My Questions on the website.

ok, thank you.

Hope to hear from you soon. Rebecca

I just thought of something. I brought a baby matress crib size and it has a sheet on it, I brought it from a friend. I felt bad that he couldn't get on the bed and I wanted him to be confortable. Could this baby matress or sheet have made him sick? He loves it and sleeps on it all the time

I doubt that would be the reason.

hello, his gums are pink and black towards the back, he is breathing a little better but looks like he just doesn't feel well at all. Like we would look if we were down with the flu. He is drooling more than usual and just moving very slow. He is settled at my feet now. My concern was, can I wait to go to my vet till tmrw. He seems better now than he was this morning. I understand I have to make that call.

Pink is good; black is normal pigment.

If he is eating and drinking, and his gums are pink, tomorrow might be OK. If he looks a little better, tomorrow should be OK. It is always best to see a veterinarian who knows him, and his history, but it would not be wrong to go to emergency today.

Can you take his temperature with a rectal thermometer?

don't have one, should I go get one? I can

It might help. Normal is 101 to 102. If he is 104, he should see a vet today.

ok, I will go get one and let you know. Thank you

I will be here.

How is Buddy doing?

Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian