Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My Morkie was fixed on Minday. She stopped eating and was in

Customer Question
a lot of pain. She...
My Morkie was fixed on Minday. She stopped eating and was in a lot of pain. She was seen by vet again we'd where they gave her fluids and better pain meds. She has been better yesterday and today getting more normal. Tonight she vomited bile several times. Very brown first 4x like diarrhea, and more tan and goopy the last 3x. What is causing this? And does she need to go to emergency
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/18/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today.

Was the vomit brown like coffee grounds?

Are her gums pink or pale/white?

If you press on her belly, does she have any tensing, tenderness, discomfort, or pain?

Can she keep anything down? Even water?

What pain relief is Bella on?

Any black stool?

Hi the vomit looked like diarrhea. I thought that's what it was until I saw her do it several times. Her gums are pink. She won't touch water but ate about 4 hours ago. She doesn't seem to be in pain but was shaking as if cold. Her last stool was black. Her pain meds are finished but she was on metacam

Thank you,

First, I have to say that I am very concerned about Bella.

The reason for my questions about her vomit's appearance is because I am concerned that you may be seeing digested blood turning it brown. Especially if she has also had a black stool (another sign of digested blood). And unfortunately, to see both of these signs raises concerns of a Metacam induced stomach ulcer. This is something we see on rare occasion but when we do, it is an urgent situation (since we cannot see her stomach to know how bad the bleeding ulcer is).

Therefore, in this case (while I am thankful she has pink gums just now), I do think it is best to have her seen urgently. We'd want her local vet or ER vet to examine her and start her on gastroprotectants, gut safe pain relief, anti-nausea medication by injection +/- antibiotics. If you have any delay in getting Bella seen, then I would note that you can at least start her on an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be:
* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

*Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)

Once that is on board, we want to offer small frequent meals of a light diet like rice with chicken, scrambled egg or even cottage cheese. The aim is that these tend to be well tolerated by the upset gut but also will give her stomach acid something else to chew on. But again we do want her seen as soon as possible since she will need an alternative pain relief (no more Metacam) and the above treatment for this suspect ulcer.

In this situation, it would be prudent to get your wee one to the emergency vet. To find your local ER veterinary clinic, you can check http://www.vetlocator.com/ or

www.veccs.org/index.php?option=com_hospitals&nationid=1&Itemid=193

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’llbe happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian