Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My 10 yr old male schnauzer has started humping my leg. When

Customer Question

My 10 yr old male schnauzer has started humping my leg. When he does he leaves a wet spot in my jeans. He was neutered many years ago, PMH was excision of a dermoid that contained malignant mast cells about 2 months ago. The vet was not able to get clean margins and the path report did not favor intensive treatment. Our dog is now on a tapering dose of prednisone 5 mgm, going down to q.o.d. Tomorrow.
My questions are
1. Could the cancer be causing changes in his libido? What might the ejaculated fluid be?
2. I am aware the Prednisone can increase urinary output, but could it be generating the humping behavior?
Thank you for any help you can give me.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Humping may indicate masturbatory behavior but in a dog neutered many years ago it's more likely to indicate dominance behavior. Prednisone can alter behavior causing quite a litany of mood and cognitive changes in pets and people. I would find it unlikely that a dermoid - even containing mast cells and incompletely excised - were responsible for his behavior. The fluid is likely to be a combination of urine and seminal vesicle fluid. I believe that you're going to see Fritzi's behavior abate once the prednisone is tapered farther. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.