Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has a runny nose and has been sneezing dog all over

Customer Question
My dog has a runny...
My dog has a runny nose and has been sneezing dog snot all over the house. He was a recent adoption, has been to the vet for kennel cough and is currently on an antibiotic. Is there anything he can take to stop the flying dog snot until he gets over the illness? He is a lab/dane/staffordshire mix that currently 70 lbs.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/17/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

I'm sorry that your question wasn't answered in a timely manner. Yes, both nasal decongestants and antihistamines can be administered. The oral decongestant pseudoephedrine should be avoided. It has too narrow of a range of safety to be used in dogs. You can, however, instill a couple of drops of Neo-Synephrine (or generic) into each upturned nostril - I hope he's compliant - every 6-12 hours and administer an oral antihistamine such as diphenhydramine (Benadryl) at a dose of 50 mg every 12 hours. Initially, at least, the nasal drops should be administered outside as their instillation is likely to cause his sneezing to beat the band. Once the decongestant quiets down the inflammation in his nose and the antihistamine dries the nasal passages out, however, you'll see less and less snot flying about.

Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian