Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  25 years of experience in surgery and internal medicine.
16881297

My dog threw up this morning then refused to eat. No. Or

Customer Question

My dog threw up this morning then refused to eat. No. Or vomiting, but still won't eat this afternoon
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Loretta replied 1 year ago.

Good Morning and welcome. I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

It may be that Bleu has a minor digestive disturbance caused by something odd she may have ingested. The treatment for this is as follows:

Fast Blue for 12-24 hrs which she is doing herself to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If Blue is feeling better, then wean her back onto regular food. If this persists especially during the fast, take Blue to your vet for an exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns. I would be very concerned due to Blue's age that she may be suffering from Kidney failure or a Pancreatitis which wil require veterinary care and testing.

Does that make sense to you?
Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please Reply so I can clarify for you
Sincerely, ***** *****