Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Beginning to get concerned about my dog. She's a 4 year old

Customer Question
Olde English Bulldogge. Last month...
Beginning to get concerned about my dog. She's a 4 year old Olde English Bulldogge. Last month I took her to the vet after getting her back. I was gone for a year and a friend had been taking care of her. She was doing great, healthy and active as usual but she began to lose weight and would not eat her dog food which was never a problem in the past. I took her to the vet to get her up to date with vaccines and just get a check up. They said she was a little under weight but otherwise healthy and then they came back in and said she tested positive for Lyme? She showed zero symptoms of Lyme. No "bullseye" no redness no itching. Other than the weight loss. They gave me a 30day antibiotic and also a 3 day panacur powder dewormer because I wasn't sure if my friend had been giving her a worm preventive over the year. And of course with her apetite the panacur was not given correctly and she did not get the full dose on any of the 3 days. 2 weeks ago I had her spayed that went very well. Staples are out and no complications. So 3 days ago I went to petco and got another 3 day powder dewormer, now thinking It must be some kind of worm. I managed to get her to take all of the medicine for the 3 days by putting it in cheese and wrapping it in chicken. But she is continuing to not eat her dog food. But will eat dog treats and people food no problem. I've tried getting different food and I've also tried wet food. Now today, the first day after her 3day dewormer she has diarrhea, but also struggling to go and when she does very small amount of diarrhea will come out. Does a dewormer cause diarrhea if it's working? And would a dog really starve themselves like this just because they are being picky eaters??
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/17/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Emma. My name is Rebecca; I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help.

Some additional information would be helpful. Have any blood tests been done? Was a stool sample checked microscopically for parasites? There are parasites that are not worms, and Panacur might not help with those.

Panacur would not normally cause diarrhea.

Dogs will not starve themselves. If a dog is not eating normally, that tells me there is something wrong: liver disease, pancreatitis, kidney disease, infection, and the list could go on.

It will help to know if any blood tests besides the test for Lyme disease was done. A positive Lyme test indicates exposure to Lyme disease, but not necessarily infection. Many dogs (and people) are exposed to Lyme, make antibodies, never get infected or sick, but will test positive on a test.

Let me know what else I can answer.

Last month they do a fecal and blood test the only thing they came back with was the Lyme. I just don't understand the weight loss as it has been fairly significant
With this last dewormer I gave her. (The vet who did her spay said it could be whipworm, but did not run any tests) how long would it take to see results if the dewormer solved the problem?

Weight loss, like not eating normally, is a sign of something being wrong, some internal disease. If she does not show symptoms of Lyme disease (fever, painful joints) I would be looking for other reasons.

I would start with basic blood tests, checking liver, kidney, pancreas, electrolytes, blood sugar, etc. Xrays, or ultrasound would be the next step if the blood tests are normal.

This sounds like more than parasites to me. However, if it is whipworm, I would treat for 5 days with Panacur and then repeat that in 2 weeks. It is usually easy to identify whipworms in a stool sample.

How is Emma doing? Can I help with or answer anything else?

Kindly consider rating my answer (always appreciated!); you can still get back to me with questions and updates after rating. The website only credits me for helping you, if you rate my answer. Please do let me know how she is doing.

Hi Colin,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Emma. How is everything going?
Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian