Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  Associate Veterinarian
88695179

My 1 year old golden was neutered yesterday and tonight is

Customer Question

My 1 year old golden was neutered yesterday and tonight is having trouble urinating. He stands for a long time trying to get it out and then leaks when he comes in. He just had his rimadyl and a cold compress, any other suggestions?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog is having difficulty urinating. My first thought is that the stress of the surgery has made him susceptible to a bladder infection. Is your regular vet or another vet in town open tomorrow morning? I think that he would benefit from an exam and also a urinalysis. You can collect urine tomorrow morning before going to the vet. If there is blood in the urine, I would strongly consider taking him to the local animal emergency room this evening for an exam. They may also recommend blood work and x-rays.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** It turned out to be the mild tranquilizer the vet had prescribed to keep him calm--it seemed to slow down his urination so he'd just stand there for minutes trying to pee! When it wore off he was back to normal and is doing well. I interesting reaction!
Expert:  Dr. Amanda replied 1 year ago.

Wow! Interesting! I have seen dogs have reactions like that to some of the older sedatives. Which medications were sent home with him? Dr. A