Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My 11 year old golden doodle has been having an issue with

Customer Question
Hi, my 11 year old...
Hi, my 11 year old golden doodle has been having an issue with breathing lately. I notice her panting even while resting inside and her breathing can be very loud at times. Sometimes she isn't panting but will be breathing very fast and her breathing pattern will be very irregular sometimes taking deep breathes frequently. It doesn't make sense though because other times she appears to be breathing quite normally. It confuses me why this abnormal pattern is very off and on. Additionally I have noticed she has been leaving half on her food in her bowl. Most of the time she will eat more though, if I bring it to her. Anyways, I'm not sure what to do? I would take her to the vet but money is an issue so I want to take her only if I know for sure that it's serious. Any suggestions or thoughts? Thank you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/16/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about Maggie...

I'm sorry she's got you worried, but glad you're looking for the information you need. You may join the chat by typing in what you want to say then clicking REPLY. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

These symptoms you're describing can be associated with a few different things, but what has me most concerned is the possibility they are due to pain. Because of that, I believe it is VERY worthwhile to investigate things further.

I agree. I am actually only fifteen but I am the only one in the family that cares enough to pay closer attention while my family doesn't take things like this as seriously. I know the possiblility of it being serious is much higher since she's older. Is there any thing else I should pay attention to before (hopefully) we take her to the vet?

Right... this is all good thinking by you

(typing more)

You're also approaching this with the right frame of mind. While it's scary to consider this might be something very serious, the sooner you look into what's causing the symptoms, the more likely you'll be successful in helping Maggie do better for as long as possible.

Are your parents online and available?

They are busy at the moment. For the time being, I will be able to refer anything you say to them.

I want to be as helpful as possible, and I really like the way you've been able to observe Maggie and take notice of these subtle changes.

But the website policies prevent me from interacting with a minor.

Oh I wasn't aware. When I agreed to the terms and policies it included agreeing that I was over 13. I will speak to my parents and see what I can do.

I really appreciate that you're the one who's on top of these things and interested in doing all you can to help Maggie. It may even be that your other family members are frightened to take Maggie to the vet because they're worried they'll hear bad news. That's actually a pretty common response.

Unfortunately, even though it's human nature, that kind of denial won't help Maggie.

That's why I'm glad she's got you in her corner.

Please remember you can also save this page and return to it at any time to review this information and/or post more. Then you can share the information with your parents. If I'm not online, I'll be notified of any response via email.

If you're satisfied with the information I've provided, please take a moment to rate my response.

Thank you.

Okay thank you

My pleasure to do what I can to help. Thank YOU for looking out for Maggie.

Dr. John
Dr. John
Dr. John, Texas Veterinarian