Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My son has a very old 16 yr old fixed female haired doxie

Customer Question
My son has a very...
My son has a very old 16 yr old fixed female long haired doxie and he also has a young 2yr old unfixed male doxie. Then male has been humping or trying to for the last 2 days. Today he humped her her tail is standing up at the base is wet and her nose is warm she acts like she may be in pain and refusing pizza not normal could she be injured or need to see a vet?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/16/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Jo
Dr. Jo, Dog Veterinarian

I'm Dr. Jo and I'm here to help you with your question about your dachshunds...

(typing more)

I'm so sorry this old girl isn't doing very well, but glad you're looking for the information you need. Can you please start by telling me her name?

Just type in what you want to say then click REPLY or SEND. Then we can chat back and forth until you're satisfied with the information I've provided.

It appears you are not currently online and available to chat. I'm sorry I missed the opportunity to have a discussion with you and answer your question. I will OPT OUT now so your question will be available to other experts when you return online.

Thank you.

Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both tonight! I am online for a few hours so hopefully you will be able to respond before I exit.

If your 16 year old dog is showing signs of pain and refusing a treat such as pizza I would advise a veterinary exam tomorrow if possible. Being a Daschund as you know they have a propensity for injuring their back and if this is the case getting her on appropriate pain medication is key in hopefully helping her feel better and eating again. Especially at her senior age...

Until you are able to get her in please restrict activity (which often they are already doing themselves but that means no steps/ stairs and only carrying to go potty) and rotating warm and cool compresses on the back and tail in ten minute intervals to reduce pain and increase blood flow.

You can also do light circular massage up and down the back and tail to stimulate blood flow if this is not too painful and will allow it.

To pick your dog up please use one hand between front legs and then scooping behind back legs to avoid pressure in the middle of the back. I have actually trained my little dogs to put their front legs on my forearm to minimize pressure on their backs and the associated discomfort.

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with. I hope you are able to get your little one comfortable soon, truly.

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today! I am online another 30 minutes this evening

Good afternoon, I was wondering how your senior dog is doing since you asked your question a few days ago? I would love an update when you are able...

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian