Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our dog was diagnosed with lymphoma about two weeks ago.

Customer Question
Although, she has been unwell...
Our dog was diagnosed with lymphoma about two weeks ago. Although, she has been unwell for almost two months. Tonight, she is panting and cannot seem to get comfortable. I also noticed one side of her upper body was wet which was very strange. Can the lymph nodes burst?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Are there specific things to look for that will tell us when it is time for her to go? Is she in pain?
10/16/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian

Hi. Welcome to Just Answer. My name is***** and I've been a veterinarian for 15 years. I'm sorry to hear about Lotte's diagnosis of her lymphoma. As far as the lymphoma itself, it won't cause anything to burst. This just doesn't happen. The lymph nodes can get very large due to the cancer that is inside them, but they won't rupture. As far as the wet on her upper body, my suspicions there would be drool / saliva or possibly urine that she maybe laid in. The most common side effects of steroids are panting, increased drinking, increased urination and increased appetite. AS far as what to look for when it is time to let her go, my big things to watch for are her overall quality of life. A dog should be comfortable, eating, drinking, breathing comfortably, and being social. When these things aren't being met, that is when I really start to question if it is getting to that time when letting them go is best for them. Lymphoma shouldn't cause pain. When it is affecting the body, it just gets it run down and weak.

I'm hoping for the best for her at this time. I wanted to give you this website that is a very good reference for lymphoma in dogs.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=575

Please let me know what questions this has created by hitting reply.

Dr. Bruce, Veterinarian