Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our 45 pound dog.... a lab mix ate a Marijuana chocolate

Customer Question
edible left here by a...
Our 45 pound dog.... a lab mix ate a Marijuana chocolate edible left here by a recent guest. We did not know it was here...and don't use the stuff so we don't know how strong it is...should we have her stomach pumped?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/16/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog is indulging in your guest's treats. In terms of the toxicity of the treat, I am much more concerned about the chocolate than the marijuana. About how large was the treat? Was it a brownie or a dark chocolate cube? How is your dog acting now? Any change in behavior? Any vomiting or diarrhea?

Chocolate is toxic to dogs because it acts like a stimulant. The dogs will get high heart rate, high blood pressure, hyperactivity, vomiting and diarrhea. Mild chocolate and brownies are usually not very toxic unless the dogs eats a very large quantity, but dark chocolate can be much more toxic.

Marijuana in dogs is a downer. They will become lethargic, weak, ataxic (loss of balance), small pupils, drooling, dribbling urine and very slow to respond. At very high doses, they can become hypothermic, have seizures and lose consciousness. Most of the time dogs are eating the actual dried plant or treats with the plant baked into it. This usually means that they are not getting nearly enough to become life threatening but they will become "stoned." I recommend wrapping them in a blanked and placing them in a quiet dark room to sleep it off. Most lose their appetites (different from humans) and all will not drink while intoxicated.

I hope this answer helps you. Feel free to contact me if you have any further questions.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

How is your dog this evening? Any problems with the chocolate or the marijuana? Do you have any more questions for me?

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

I haven’t hear back from you in a while. How is your pet this evening? Do you have any more question for me? If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian