Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I've black runny poop.I've had it weeks. I've been to my

Customer Question
Hi, I'm Jiffy , and...
Hi, I'm Jiffy , and I've black runny poop.I've
had it for 7 weeks. I've been to my Vets.
He feels my stomach, talks a lot , and sends me home.I don't eat every day, but so when I have Pooped. I drink the usual amount of water and have no problem urinating.Dad takes me walking every day, during the walk if I do poop I will eat when returning home.But not every time .
I have had my stool checked by to different Vets , show negative for Pericites.I like to rest neer my Dad.
I take short breaths. I am a Poodle I weigh 13 lbs . Please help . Jifffy
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/15/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian

Dear Jiffy,

You've been ill too long. It's time to investigate you more fully. This is how I would do so...

1) In case occult parasitism is present, I would presumptively treat you with 7 consecutive days of fenbendazole. This anthelminthic addresses all of the nematodes (roundworms, hookworms, whipworms) as well as the protozoan Giardia. Fecal ova and parasite exam are too often falsely negative; hence, the seen for presumptive treatment. If no positive change is seen...

2) I would perform a senior/geriatric diagnostic panel of blood and urine tests on you to see if a metabolic disease affecting your gastrointestinal tract is present. If nothing untoward is seen in your test results...

3) I would ultrasound your abdomen. Ultrasound is the most sensitive and readily available imaging modality for your abdomen - particularly for looking inside the gastrointestinal tract. if ultrasound weren't helpful I'm left with...

4) Scoping and biopsying your gastrointestinal tract.

If you prefer to go a more conservative route, you might try a presumptively hypoallergenic diet to see if it normalizes you. Food intolerance/allergy is addressed with prescription hypoallergenic diets. These special foods contain just one novel (rabbit, duck, e.g.) animal protein or proteins that have been chemically altered (hydrolyzed) to the point that your immune system doesn't "see" anything to be allergic to. The over the counter hypoallergenic foods too often contain proteins not listed on the label - soy is a common one - and these proteins would confound our evaluation of the efficacy of the hypoallergenic diet. The prescription foods are available from your vet. There are many novel protein foods and a prototypical hydrolyzed protein food is Hill’s Prescription Diet z/d ultra (a hydrolyzed protein diet is my preference). A positive response is usually seen within a few weeks if we’ve eliminated the offending food allergen. Food intolerance can arise at any age and even after our patient has been eating the same food for quite some time.

I'm impressed with how well you use a keyboard. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian