Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Have a bulldog s penisis swollen half way up shaft and is

Customer Question
have a bulldog his penisis...
have a bulldog his penisis swollen half way up shaft and is running a fever cant take to vet till later what do I do
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/15/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today

I am so sorry Diesel is having this issue. Can you please clarify is his penis exposed from the prepuce? Is he neutered or intact? Is he able to urinate or is he straining to urinate without production or only dripping?

Thank you

no hes not neutered hes not quite 2 yet hes not exposed from the prepuce but he does seem to be takeing a long time to urinate and the end of it is very red , hes also licking a lot

I can give you some basic guidelines to try to reduce this occurrence but if it continues then he should be seen by your veterinarian as soon as possible because this can affect his ability to urinate and can become an emergency.

This condition is called paraphimosis or inability to contract the penis. Below is a link to information on this condition in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/reproduction/paraphimosis-and-phimosis-in-dogs

Recommendations include:

- No licking! Licking introduces oral bacteria and can result in a urinary tract infection. This may include putting a cone on him or a t-shirt long enough to cover his penis
- Using KY jelly or vaseline to lubricate the penis and attempt putting it back into the sheath or prepuce
- If this is successful, pinching the foreskin over the penis for a few moments to ensure it doesn't recur
- If not successful and the penis is swollen you can use granulated sugar to draw out the moisture then retry the lubrication in hopes of retracting the penis

Again if this continues I would advise a veterinary exam so they can help return the penis to the sheath. If left exposed and not maintain a moist environment it can lead to necrosis or dying of the exposed tissue and in severe cases amputation.

I hope this information makes sense but please let me know how else I can assist you both today. I hope this resolves soon...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier and hope you were able to get Diesel to the vet. I would love an update!

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian