Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has been vomiting mucus off and on couple of weeks,

Customer Question
Customer: My dog has been...
Customer: My dog has been vomiting mucus off and on for a couple of weeks, like every 3 or 4 days. Last night she vomited her food and there was quite a bit of yellow mucus in it. She is acting like her normal self and playing still. Is there anything that I can give her to help her stomach? She is a 10 year old Scottish Terrier
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: The vomit is not watery at all it is a thicker mucus. She still eats and drinks normally, and her energy levels have not changed at all.
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: Ok
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/15/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian

Good Morning and welcome! I am Dr. Loretta, a licensed veterinarian and I am happy to answer your question.

I am so sorry to hear that your gal is not feeling well. My first thought, considering her age, is that she may have the beginnings of Kidney Failure , which is treatable when caught early. Vomiting is the first sign and the color you see is due to excess bile showing up in the vomit. I would strongly recommend that you have your vet examine your gal and run blood work to rule out any metabolic issue. If this is ruled out, then your gal is suffering from a mild digestive disturbance causing intermittent nausea. The treatment for this is as follows:

Fast your gal for 12-24 hrs to allow the digestive tract to calm down and heal.
Give her Pepcid AC or Famotidine at 0.5 mg per pound every 8 hrs. That can be purchased over the counter at the pharmacy.
Give only small amounts of water during the fast or ice cubes
After the fast, feed rice and boiled chicken (2/1)

If the vomiting has resolved, then wean her back onto regular food. If the vomiting persists especially during the fast, take your gal back to your vet for another exam and lab work to determine the cause for this. This is extremely important since this can cause dehydration or other more serious concerns such as Inflammatory Bowel Disease.

Does that make sense to you?

Please let me know if you have ANY other questions. My goal is to give you 100% satisfaction and if you are not yet satisfied, please REPLY so I can clarify for you.

Sincerely, ***** *****

Thank you. I will make an appointment for her. I will also pick up some pepsid for her

Excellent...that is the fist step to help your sweet gal. Good luck!!

Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta
Dr. Loretta, Dog Veterinarian