Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

My dog has a gland that swells repeatedly. Our vet has used

Customer Question
My dog has a gland...
My dog has a gland that swells repeatedly. Our vet has used antibiotics and steroids but as soon as the meds are done the gland swells again.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/14/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

Where is the gland that swells? Are any of Bo's other glands doing the same?

How long has this been going on?

What tests has her

This has been ongoing for about 4 months. The gland is in the neck. If it were Ina human I would think it were a gland related to a sore throat. They have drawn fluid for a biopsy and saw nothing but raging bacteria. This time she added the steroids with the antibiotic and staggered the time they ended to see it that would indicate something. The lump began to came back when we ran out of steroids but really came back when the antibiotics were gone.

Thank you,

Based on your history, instead of glandular inflammation, this sounds more suspicious of a non-resolving bacterial infection. Now you said the gland was "biopsied" (where we surgically take out a chunk of the node for analysis) but you have described a fine needle aspiration. As well, you mentioned that bacteria were seen but not what species they were (so that suggests microscopic evaluation as opposed to culture). In that case, I would advise speaking to your vet about bacterial culture and sensitivity testing. This is where the sample extracted is grown in the lab to ID what it is and then test what drugs it is sensitive to. This allows you to target treatment to clear this infection. Of course, if we found it resisting even that, then we'd have to consider whether we remove this bacterial focus all together (as we can spare a lymph node) to give the body a hand in clearing what is present here.

Overall, while this sounds to be centered in a node, we sound to have a resistant and persistent bacterial infection. Therefore, while the initial tests were useful, we'd want to take these next steps in order to better target treatment to clear this for Bo.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today.Thank you! : )

Thanks you. Your answer makes perfect sense. I will make these suggestions to my vet. She is easy to work with and I am sure won't be offended. Again, thank you so much.

You are very welcome,

All the best,

Dr. B.

Hi Connie,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Bo. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian