Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My cat grew up with a miniature schnauzer since she was

Customer Question

My cat grew up with a miniature schnauzer since she was little, they are very close. However, I moved into my own apartment and she is now alone at home, it has been over three months and she is displaying signs of depression and seems very skittish, which is very different from her character generally. I have done a lot to help her get used to the new environment and sounds of the apartment but she is still not adjusting. I believe another pet may help her, as she may just be missing the companionship of another pet while I am at work. Is this a good idea? If so what kind of pet would be best for her to adjust to, another dog or a cat perhaps?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Belle. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. My name is Rebecca.

She may be missing the dog, but the move into a new place may also be a part of the change in her. Getting another pet might help, but might make things even worse. I always say, never get a pet for your pet; only get another pet if you yourself want one. If she has never lived with another cat, she might be overjoyed to have another cat around, or she may hate it. Same with a dog; just because she like the Schnauzer does not mean she will like a different dog.

I would start with "environment enrichment", making her feel stimulated with an outlet for her natural curiousity and need to hunt. Things like perches to look out windows, cat trees (cats like to go up high), and interactive toys (balls inside clear circular tubes that they can bat at but not reach, catnip, dangling toys) can all help.

There is a website dedicated to environment enrichment for cats:

https://indoorpet.osu.edu/cats

The section on "life stressors" may help with her, moving and change are big life stessors for cats.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

How is Belle? Did you see my answer? Can I help with anything else?