Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

I have a 5 month old standard poodle puppy who scratches all

Customer Question

I have a 5 month old standard poodle puppy who scratches all the time. She scratches to the point of crying. She is on trifexis and has no evidence of fleas. Our vet suggested we try benadryl, but not only did it give her any discernable relief, it seemed to cause very loose stools. The stool returned to normal when we stopped the benadryl. The only visable evidence of all the scratching is irritation and redness on her belly, although she scratches her muzzle, ears everywhere.
Is there a powder or something that will stop this?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Hi this is DRB and I would love to help you with this. If your baby has no fleas there is absolutely only one thing that will cause this type of itching in a 5 month old dog.....and this diagnosis gets missed alot...... it is important/imperative with itching in dogs to not just treat the itching......one must treat the underlying cause of the itching. Simply put your dog has food allergic dermatitis, period......this is the only thing that will cause this type of itching in a puppy if no fleas are present. Tell your vet to get your dog on Prescription diet science diet DD venison and potato diet. Yo need to do a 12 food trial. During this time do not feed anything outside of the diet. NOTHING.....if you need to give her treats use pieces of the food. Also she must not take certain heratworm preventatives. You need to check about the Trifexis and make sure that the flavor in that is an artificial flavor and not true beef or any other true protein. Your vet can call the company and find out.I don't use trifexis so I don't know about that....if you do all that I have said you puppy will feel much better in a few weeks and 100 % better in 12 weeks.

Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you.

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need further help. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much.

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you need further help. Best, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Calypso. How is everything going?
Dr B