Dr Scott Nimmo, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  BVMS, MRCVS. { Glasgow UK }
10315041

My dog may have eaten one of my Wellbutrin pills. Is this

Customer Question

My dog may have eaten one of my Wellbutrin pills. Is this dangerous?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr Scott Nimmo replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome,

This is just a quick note to let you know that I am locked on to your question and am working on it now.

My name is***** and I am a small animal vet with many years experience and rest assured I will do my best to answer your question to your satisfaction today. However before I can start I need a little more information to make things clearer for me so could you please answer the following :

1. How much does your dog weigh { In pounds } ?

2. What is the strength of the Wellbutrin { In mg } ?

You can then expect a written reply sometime within the next fifteen minutes or so.We also have the option to talk things over by telephone or via an internet service such as Skype if this is more convenient for you. Please get back to me if this is more suitable for you. { There is a small extra charge for phone calls }

Regards,

Dr Scott

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dog weighs 25 lbs. Strength is 150 mg. It is the extended release Wellbutrin.

Hello again and thanks for getting back to me

I have worked out an answer for you ...

1. The first thing to say is that given the amount of Wellbutrin your dog took although you may see minor side effects of some kind that this is not likely to be too serious or a fatal incident. The minimum toxic dose (to cause adverse symtoms) for Bupropion { Wellbutrin } is 10 mg / kg and the dose your dog took was 13.20 mg /kg. My experience with this sort of dose is that it may cause some degree of sedation and lethargy for 24 hours or so but then the dog should recover and be back to normal. Larger overdoses may cause salivation, agitation, ataxia, tremors or even seizures.

The fatal dose for this drug { Id50 } is listed as 500 mg / kg by the way so you can see this drug has quite a high margin of safety in the dog.

2. That said you should continue to try to induce vomiting if possible if you can do this within the first hour after ingestion { Two hours at the absolute outside } then things should be OK . For the sake of speed I will give you a link on how to do this best : LINK

{ Also be aware that an ER vet will be able to quickly induce vomiting with prescription drugs }

3. If you do not manage to induce vomiting then all you can do is to monitor your dog while the drug slowly works it's way out of her system but if more serious symptoms occur you would be best to have her checked over by an ER vet without delay.

I hope I have covered your question fully enough but if you would like further clarification or to talk things over a bit more then I will be on-line for the next hour or so and I will be more than pleased to continue working with you.

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you after we have concluded our dialogue, such feedback helps me maintain the quality of my answers.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks. I'll try to induce vomiting one more time. And I'll definitely keep an eye on her.

Hello again ,

That's the right thing to do, but even if you do not manage to induce vomiting I doubt if things will be so bad, however I should be available online for the next four or five hours today so please do not hesitate get straight back to me if your Corgi's condition changes in any way or you would like to talk things over with me further.

Kindest regards,

Dr Scott

Hello again,

I am just checking back in to see how your Corgi is getting on after our recent dialogue concerning the Wellbutrin incident ...

How are things going?

Regards,

Dr Scott

Please be kind enough to rate my service to you { Using the site rating system }, such feedback really helps me maintain the quality of my answers.