Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

What can I give a approximately 13week old puppy? The puppy

Customer Question

What can I give a approximately 13week old puppy for pain? The puppy has 3 fractures in rear left leg. I am fostering
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

I am so sorry to hear about Alfie. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. I am also sorry to see you have not gotten help from an expert until now; I just came online and saw your question.

Does he have a splint or cast on? One of the best ways to control pain is to keep the leg from moving around. Motion at the fracture sites not only is painful but contributes to slower or even nonhealing.

What pain medications do you have on hand? There are no good safe over the counter pain drugs for a puppy. Aspirin is not great, but is the only over the counter drug you could try. How much does the puppy weigh? You can give 1 baby aspirin or 1 low dose aspirin every 12 hours to a puppy that weighs 15 pounds to 20 pounds. Give it with food. Aspirin makes many dogs vomit, and if it does, do not give it again.

The best pain and safest pain drugs like buprenorphine, tramadol, etc. are only by prescription.

Let me know how he is doing and what else I can answer. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

How is your puppy doing?

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Alfie. How is everything going?