Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Uti in a 13 year old golden

Customer Question
uti in a 13 year old golden
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
also can I give her a drug called Phenazopyridine 200mg?
10/13/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assists you both today!

I am sorry to hear Becky is having signs of a possible urinary tract infection with increased water intake.

There are a handful of causes of increased water intake in a dog or polydipsia:

1.) A urinary tract infection
2.) Bladder stones that traumatize the bladder and cause bleeding
3.) A bladder tumor, most likely in a senior pet
4.) Kidney or liver changes
5.) Endocrine disease such as Cushing's

Ideally until you are able to get to your veterinarian, please increase water intake. You can do this by supplementing the dry food with water and flavoring the water (maple syrup or no salt broth for example) as well. Increasing the water intake will help "flush" out the bladder and reduce the pain associated with this condition.

Collecting a first morning sample in a tupperware container and refrigerating the sample if more than an hour old to have your vet evaluate the sample will help determine the cause of the blood in the urine.

Your vet will run a urinalysis, potentially do a urine culture to look for bacteria, an X-ray to rule out a bladder stone, and bloodwork to ensure there is not a metabolic cause or kidney issues causing the symptoms

Diagnosing the issue will help determine how best to treat the blood in the urine to get your pet comfortable swiftly

Below is more information on this condition in dogs:

http://www.petplace.com/article/dogs/diseases-conditions-of-dogs/symptoms/polydipsia-and-polyuria-excessive-drinking-and-urinating-in-dogs

As far as using phenazopyridine for her, this is not a common medication used in dogs and will relay information in regards ***** ***** in just one moment but wanted to get you this information first and foremost

Please let me know if you have any additional questions I can assist with!

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION. Bonuses are always welcome (I am not compensated in any other way). Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

OK, unfortunately phenazopyridine can be toxic to dogs. It will cause methemoglobinemia/Heinz body anemia (is converted to acetaminopen in the body), liver toxicity, neurological problems and it will also discolor the urine to orange/red color . For these reasons, I would recommend not to use it. Please let me know any additional questions I can assist with tonight

I am glad to see you were able to view my responses earlier.

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

If you are satisfied with our chat please rate or accept so I may be compensated for my time. Thank you!

Hi Peter,
I'm just following up on our conversation about Becky. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian