Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian
Experience:  Hello, I am a small animal veterinarian and am happy to discuss any concerns & questions you have on any species.
60269376

I didn,t know, but been feeding my 18mth old mini-pin/

Customer Question

I didn,t know, but been feeding my 18mth old mini-pin/ ***** ***** avocados, on both of her upper theighs are blood red and scabby. What can I put on her skin to ease the itch and also heal her. She,s having a hard time walking because she,s sore. She ate her dog food last nite but this morningshe threw her eater up.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

First, we want to avoid the avocados in the future. These are not as dangerous for dogs as some species, but it is likely what is causing her stomach upset. Therefore, as long as she didn't eat the pit (as that could cause a gut blockage and an urgent situations), you can try to settle her stomach with supportive care. So, as long she isn't severely nauseous, you can try her with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be:

*Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if she has a known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Of course, if she cannot keep that down, then we'd need to think about having her local vet bypass her mouth and treat her with injectable anti-vomiting medication.

Otherwise, if she can keep this down and settles, we can offer a light diet like cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk). There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’s sensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut.

Her GI upset aside, we need to also help settle her skin. If she just has a few lesions on the inside of her thighs, you can cleanse these 2-3 times daily with a mild antiseptic (ie dilute chlorohexidine, salt water, the). Afterwards, pat the area dry and apply an OTC antibiotic cream to them. If she is very itchy, we can alternate with an OTC hydrocortisone cream. Of course, if you use these topical treatments, she cannot be allowed to lick the area. Therefore, you may need an e-collar from your local pet store to help block her access to the area and allow it to heal. Finally, just to note, if she has a lot of lesions or is severely itchy, then we'd want to consider following up with her vet for antibiotics +/- a short course of anti-inflammatories to soothe this for her.

Overall your lass has 2 ongoing issues. So, we need to settle her stomach first and then treat her skin to help get her back on track.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions,please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need. Thank you! : )

Expert:  Dr. B. replied 2 years ago.

Please remember torate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button with the issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)