Dr. Peter
Dr. Peter, Veterinarian
Experience:  16 years of internal medicine, surgery, and preventive care.
25161683

I am ***** *****. My dog has been passing bloody diarrhea

Customer Question

Customer: Hi. I am ***** *****. My dog has been passing bloody diarrhea with mucus for a couple of days and it seems to be getting worse. I can't get an apt with a vet until Friday. What do I do?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: She acts fine other than needing to go outside recently. I have been giving her rice and chicken for dinner and it hasn't made much of a difference.
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: I can wait.
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Welcome and thanks for asking your question. My name is***** am a licensed veterinarian. I am happy to answer your question today. First I need to ask you a few questions so that I can be well informed and give you the best advice.

1- How old is your dog?

2- Any pre existing medical conditions?

3- Did your dog get into anything or eat something out of the ordinary?

4- Any other symptoms?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My dog is 3 yrs old. I adopted her in May. She had hernia repair before I got her, otherwise I don't think there are any other issues. I don't think she ate anything unusual. She may have taken a bite from a mushroom growing near the road during one of our walks, but I think I pulled her away before she actually ate it. Other than the bloody diarrhea, she seems totally fine.
Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.

Friend, I am sorry for the delay in response I was offline by the time you came back. In response to your question, when we see bloody diarrhea this is a sign of inflammation in the colon (large intestines). It will be difficult for me to determine the exact underlying cause without a hands on examination and some testing. But, common causes are: Dietary indiscretion, ingestion of a foreign body, infections, or even part of a systemic disease to name a few causes. To determine the exact underlying cause she will need a hands on examination by a veterinarian, xrays and fecal analysis as initial screening test. I would try to get her in to see family vet before Friday. In the meantime this is what you can do:

1- Do not give things like Pepto Bismol or imodium.

2- No food or water for 8-12 hours, need to give her gastrointestinal tract time to rest. Then, offer small amount of water followed by a diet of rice (75%) and boiled boneless chicken or ground beef (25%) until the stool is back to normal then wean her back into her regular diet. Keep her indoors in a cool room and no exercise when fasting.

3- Supplement with a probiotic (fortiflora), these are friendly bacteria that help with regularity. You can buy this over the counter in any pet store.

4- Follow up with your family veterinarian for a hands on examination.

Please do not forget to rate my answer - I hope you found it to be excellent. If there’s more I can do, please use the reply tab and let me know. It’s my goal to provide you with excellent service." Thank you for your business and I hope to work with you again soon!

Dr. Peter

Expert:  Dr. Peter replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Peter