Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

Our dog swallowed a small turkey bone, apparently several

Customer Question
hours ago. He has been...
Our dog swallowed a small turkey bone, apparently several hours ago. He has been with us all day but whined just now. We reached in his mouth and can feel it in his throat but we can't get to it. He is not choking or salivating. Do we need emergency care tonight or should we see if he can finally swallow it. We can give him peroxide to make him vomit. Bread to make it go down? Small miniature male.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Mini Australian. 25 pounds
10/11/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you today. I do apologize that your question was not answered before. Different experts come online at various times; I just came online, read about your wee one’s situation, and wanted to help.

Again I do apologize that my colleagues were not available to help you before I cam online. Still, I do just want to let you know not to induce vomiting or even pull that bone. There is real risk it could damage the throat if you were to do so. Ideally, if it is still there, we'd want to get the ER vet to remove it using their endoscope (a scope with a camera). If they can do so safely, it will avoid any complication. If for any reason they couldn't, they could then guide the bone down into the stomach to then try to remove or operate to take out without risk the esophagus.

Overall, please do be careful here. Since bones can be so variable (in size and sharpness), we do always need to tread with care. We don't want to induce vomiting or pull blindly since lacerating the esophagus can be fatal (plus its a very hard area to repair surgically). So, the above would be best or otherwise you could try to get it down with bread with a view to having the vet try to remove it from the stomach with their scope or via surgery.

Please take care,

Dr. B.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Gizmo. How is everything going?
nekovet
Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian