Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a part boxer and part bulldog. She is almost three.

Customer Question
She still chews a lot...
I have a part boxer and part bulldog. She is almost three. She still chews a lot and finds things to chew/eat. About 6 months a go she lost her hair on both sides right above her hind legs. I was told they were hot spots. Today we were gone all day and she was in her kennel for about 12 hours. Normal time in there is around 8. When we let her out she had dirreah it was all over her kennel. Gave her a bath which she loves and went to feed her and she started to squat so got her outside. She was dripping blood all the way out. She keeps trying to go but nothing there. But dripping a couple drops of blood. She is drinking but not eating. Any ideas
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/11/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian

My name is***** and I am sorry to hear that your dog is sick. When you say that she is dripping blood, is it from her anus or from her vulva? We need to determine if she is having bloody diarrhea or bloody urine before we can come up with a treatment plan.

Please let me know where the blood is coming from.

Dr. Amanda

Kansas State University

College of Veterinary Medicine Class of 2001

It is from her anus

Ah, okay. She has bloody diarrhea.

First, don't panic. Bloody diarrhea is common in dogs with irritation or inflammation in their colon. The colon becomes irritated and leaks blood leading to the bloody diarrhea. This is very different than humans. When humans have bloody diarrhea, there is usually one large vessel that is ruptured and the patient is usually hospitalized and given a blood transfusion.

For tonight- I would withhold food for tonight but offer small (1/2 cup) amounts of water once every 15 minutes to satisfy her thirst. If the diarrhea becomes more severe I would strongly recommend taking her to your local animal emergency room for evaluation. They will likely recommend blood work and x-rays before prescribing a treatment for her.

In the morning, if the diarrhea has not progressed, I would feed her a very bland diet such as boiled chicken and rice. If she is still having a little diarrhea, you can also add a probiotic such as Fortiflora or other similar dog probiotic. Do not use human probiotics as we have different bacteria in her intestines. You can also try Immodium 2mg once every 4 hours if the diarrhea is mild. This won't work if the diarrhea is severe.

If she starts vomiting tonight, I would also strongly recommend taking her to the local animal ER.

Does this help?

How is your dog this evening? Any more diarrhea?

Do you have any more questions for me?

Also, if you would consider rating our conversation, I would greatly appreciate it.

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Amanda Mouradian-Dar

If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for helping you today. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

I haven’t hear back from you in a while. How is your pet this evening? Do you have any more question for me? If you are satisfied with my assistance, please take a moment to use the stars at the top of the page to rate my answer so that I will be compensated for answering your question. For future questions, you can find me here: http://www.justanswer.com/profile.aspx?PF=88695179&FID=0

Best regards,

Dr. Amanda

Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda
Dr. Amanda, Dog Veterinarian