Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

My dog has congestive heart problems. we just found out

Customer Question

my dog has congestive heart problems. we just found out today. He went to the vet to get his rabies shot and as they checked him they told us he has congestive heart. They put him on lasix but since he has been home he is having trouble breathing. Is there something we can do or might it be a side effect of the rabie shot?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Congestive heart failure is a diagnosis suggested by the typical sounds of wet lungfields but is confirmed with X-rays. Be that as it may, if you're seeing dyspnea (difficulty breathing) at this time, it would be prudent to double the prescribed dose of Lasix and give it now and again in 4 hour intervals until your dog normalizes. It won't be harmful if your dog doesn't suffer from congestive heart failure and can be life-saving. Please alert his vet to what you're doing.

A reaction to rabies vaccine can present as a febrile, painful, lethargic, inappetent, somnolent, vomiting (or any combination of those symptoms) dog. By the principle of Occam's Razor I'd be more concerned about heart failure than the rabies vaccine...which shouldn't have been given to an ill dog whatever the reason for his lungs sounding abnormal. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry just came from the hospital. didnt see the response. Our Muffins passed away.

My condolences for your loss of Muffins.

You may receive an inappropriate follow up sent by the site ostensibly sent by me. It wasn't and I apologize in advance should you receive it.