Dr. Ann M.
Dr. Ann M., Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  ER and general medicine Veterinarian since 2005
15015521

I'm not sure if I should take my dog to the emergency vet or

Customer Question

I'm not sure if I should take my dog to the emergency vet or if I can wait until morning. Older Cavalier King Charles spaniel, female, was a former puppy mill rescue dog. We know she's a senior, but had very damaged teeth when we adopted her 6 years ago had them removed. She is acting different than usual. She was trying to throw up a few hours ago, but nothing was coming up. We decided to give her 10 mg of Pepcid which was recommend by our vet previously when our dog had an upset stomach. That was around 90 minutes ago. She can't get comfortable is whining a little and when we touch her, we can't figure out what is hurting her. I'm just scared that something is going on that can't make it to morning. She has urinated and able to have a bowel movement ealier.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Hi there and thank you for your question. My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed, internship-trained veterinarian with 10 years experience in general medicine and emergency and critical care medicine and I would be happy to assist you. Please be patient as there may be slight delays in responses as I research your pet's issue. Does her belly appear larger than usual or bloated? Is she still dry heaving? Has she had any fatty table scraps in the past few days like pieces of meat?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
She hasn't eating anything usual today. Yesterday she had a small piece of cheese as a treat. We have been checking her stomach but I can't tell if it's bloated . She hasn't dry heaved for at least 2 hours.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We were touching her stomach and body to see if there were any signs of discomfort and nothing happened
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My husband says that she feels normal. I can't tell to be honest, but I don't see anything different with her stomach.
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

What color are her gums?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
They're pink, same color as our healthy dog. She's also wagging her tail and drinking water. She seems happier on a hard surface like the floor
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

I am not sure why it says I opted out, I must have clicked the wrong button. I suspect your dog just has an upset stomach. I would withhold food until tomorrow morning, and then offer a bland diet of boiled chicken breast and white rice.

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Tomorrow, feed The bland diet and 4 to 5 small meals throughout the day.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I wanted to know if I should bring her to the emergency vet or not. Waiting 24 hours for the answer isn't helpful because we will bring her to the vet tomorrow morning.
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

If your dog is not eating tomorrow, or vomits at all, see your veterinarian for bloodwork or X-rays. If all goes well with the bland diet, continue it for another day, and then switch back to the usual diet.

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

I don't understand… Why would you have to wait 24 hours for the answer?

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

I was under the impression I had answered your question within an hour. I do not think she should go to the ER tonight, is what I was saying. I would withhold food until morning, then offer a bland diet tomorrow.

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

This is not sound serious at this point.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It said that yo referred me to another vet and I was going to get an answer in 24 hours. She just vomited a little bit and still has a wagging tail.
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, sorry, the program is having a glitch. It said that I had opted out of this question, but don't worry, I didn't. Okay, so she vomited. Do not give any food OR water until morning. Then follow the same instructions... offer a small amount of a bland diet of boiled chicken breast and white rice in the morning. If she holds that down, feed that in 4-5 small meals throughout the day tomorrow. Give the Pepcid dose every 12 hours until she is back to normal. I would not see an ER vet tonight for this, and not even necessarily in the morning unless she vomits again overnight.

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

I hope that I have answered your question thoroughly. If you still have questions, please reply. If you feel that I have provided anything less than excellent service, please reply to me first before rating my service and let me know how I can better assist you. Thank you for your question; it has been a pleasure being able to provide assistance. Best of luck.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok, it very strange and out of the blue to see her showing signs of discomfort or fussy. She didn't throw up a lot, it was just a few pieces of food and some liquid. She still seems like she can't get comfortable or fall sleep, which is rare, she's a classic lazy sleep lounging dog. She loves sleeping and getting cozy so to see her moving around is a first since she had her rotted teeth removed when we first adopted her 6 years ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your help, I think you answered that it's not a high level emergency and we should go to the 24 hour vet.
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

An upset stomach can be difficult. There isn't really a good option for pain management for gastrointestinal pain… You just have to kind of wait it out. She will eventually laydown and sleep, and then you will just have to follow the instructions for the morning.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Should I be concerned if she doesn't go eventually fall asleep and keeps moving around
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

I don't think there's any chance she is going to stay awake all night long. But if you find that at two in the morning she is still wide awake and pacing, you may have to reconsider the ER visit.

Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

But at this point, I would not think you would need to go to the vet tonight.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Ok thank you for taking the time to answer. I'll take her to the vet if she's still pacing up until 2am
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

Sounds like a plan. Good luck!

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just wanted to give you an update on Lorna. Around 1 am I felt her stomach get bigger and then she had a huge surge or diarrheal, we waited to see if she could get comfortable and the dry heaving continue. She was just still very restless and we brought her to the emergency service. She did have bloat and we were able to avoid surgery, which we were trying to advoid because we knew she had a heart murmur, but we were always told it was very low. We had her heart looked at while we were already there to get the ultra sound and her heart is at a 4 so the cardiologist on staff continued to consult with our regular vet. It was a very expensive weekend, but I'm so grateful I knew what to look for incase it turned into an emergency and before everything was too late. I know it could have been life or death for her and I'm so glad the fluids and medicine she was given took the bloating down. I thought I had taken the food measures into practice to prevent bloat, but we're improving things more at home. Hopefully it was something we can improve on environmentally and there was no internal issues that we didn't see that caused her to bloat. Thank you again for helping us and telling us what to look for.
Expert:  Dr. Ann M. replied 1 year ago.

How odd in a small dog! I am so glad that you knew that a larger abdomen and continued dry heaving were symptoms of bloat, and that you took her in. This is great news! Please know that if this happens once, it is bound to happen again... I would keep a close eye on her in the future. Please feel free to let me know if you have further questions, and please remember to rate my service so that I will receive credit for assisting you. Best of luck.