Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My 1 1/2 year old Great Dane was spayed 2 weeks ago today. 1

Customer Question

My 1 1/2 year old Great Dane was spayed 2 weeks ago today. 1 week ago today she had hernia surgery Now today she started bleeding heavily from her vagina. Took her to the vet and he wasn't concerned tested blood from her vagina and too blood from her leg and said he was able to determine she wasn't hemoraging and nothing burst. Said have her wear diaper. Meantime there was so much blood it looked like a murder scene
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

Good afternoon - I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed veterinarian who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry to hear that Lulu has been having a bit of a rocky recovery from her surgery! I know that seeing blood can be quite shocking and scary.

While is't unusual to have significant hemorrhage this long after surgery, it's definitely not impossible. In an oviariohysterectomy, the portion of the reproductive tract external to the cervix is left in place. Ligatures (or stitches) are placed around the uterine body just inside the cervix. There can potentially still be blood inside the cervix that can come out for days to weeks after surgery. It's not active bleeding, but rather blood that collected there during the procedure that is in need of a way out - the path of least resistance is to go out the vagina. In less common cases, one of the small vessels or uterine artery could be bleeding into the cervix, in which case we can have active bleeding. I would have expected active bleeding to begin immediately after surgery in that case though. As a vet I'd want to be keeping a close eye on the red blood cell count of a patient like this with repeat measurements if the bleeding continues. Significant bleeding will create an anemia. I would also check the pet very closely for other signs of bleeding like excessive bruising, splotchy red rashes, or bleeding from other areas of the body. It might also be prudent to send out clotting times (PT/PTT) to the lab to make sure that there's no coagulopathy going on. A coagulopathy is a situation where the blood is unable to clot normally - usually with abnormal PT/PTT we are worried about ingestion of rodenticide (rat poison) or potential liver issues or other rare diseases like hemophilia.

Continue to monitor her gums and be sure that they stay bubble gum pink. If bleeding is continuing and her gums begin to get pale, then I'd have her rechecked. Most of these do dry up on their own with no intervention from us.

Hope this helps - please let me know what other questions I can answer for you :)

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Vet said the blood difference from leg and vagina were different values saying that shows no hemorrhage does that make sense
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 1 year ago.

It sure does - if the bleeding keeps going, I'd want to recheck the CBC or a PCV/TS, which are both measures of circulating red blood cells. I hope it all settles out for you (as I expect that it will). Let me know if I can help/answer any other questions :)

~Dr. Sara