Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

We have a 9 year old Multipoo. She appears to be having some

Customer Question

We have a 9 year old Multipoo. She appears to be having some kind of episode or seizer about once a week . I have a video of the one she experienced this morning. Can I forward it to you for your review?
We are very concerned about what this might be.
Thanks very kindly ,
Jack and Gina Richter
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

Yes, please upload the video to an external site such as YouTube and give me the link to it. Don't mark it as private.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will have to call my daughter to help with that. I only know how to send the video via email. How do I get back to you once I get it done to let you know the link?
can help you. You can return to our conversation at your leisure. Bookmark this page for ease of return. Please don't open up a new question.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
My daughter is trying to send this for us and will get me the link once done. Thank you for your patience .

No worries. I'll watch for your next post.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The link is https://YouTu.be/
kYECFIFrbrw
She said if you can't fund it you can search the title Bella992000
Let me know if this works thanks

Thank you! The behavior I witnessed is consistent with both a simple partial seizure (previously called petit mal and now also called psychomotor seizure) as well as a dorsal root signature sign. A simple partial seizure is defined as abnormal focal or asymmetric sensory or motor activity affecting any part of the body; these seizures may be associated with autonomic signs (salivation, vomiting, e.g.). A dorsal root signature sign arises from cervical (neck) spinal cord compression as might be seen with degenerative disk disease in a 9 year old maltipoo.

A seizure is transient and starts and ends abruptly. I would expect spinal cord compression to cause additional signs - reluctance to jump up or down or navigate steps, a change in posture such as a "hunch" in the back or holding the neck stiffly and head lower to the ground, vocalization when approached or lifted, shaking/trembling (pain responses), and a change in behavior - a normally social dog becoming aloof or, conversely, a normal aloof dog becoming "clingy". Be sure to show this video to Bella's vet who can plapate Bella's neck looking for indications of hyperpathia (increased sensitivity) which would suggest a cervical disk. X-rays of her neck may be suggested. A negative finding upon palpation and X-rays would lead us to seizure activity.

Please continue our conversation if you wish.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Bella. How is everything going?