Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a yorkie with an upset stomach. He has thrown up a

Customer Question
I have a yorkie with...
I have a yorkie with an upset stomach. He has thrown up a little and gone poop. He keeps on going out side to pee. His tummy is tight. Do you have any ideas to help relieve him
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/8/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. B., Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian

Hello & welcome, I am Dr. B, a licensed veterinarian and I would like to help you with your wee one today.

How long has he been showing signs?

What is he bringing up in his vomit?

Can he keep any water down?

Are his gums nice and pink (not white/pale)? Moist or sticky?

Is that tight belly tender or painful for him?

Could he have eaten anything he should not have (ie bones, stones, socks, toys, plants, chemicals, human meds, etc)?

He has been having symptoms for a couple of hours. He just throws up some grass he ate. His gum are fine. He seem to keep water down. His belly is tight and but does not seem to be painful. we do not think he has eating anything strange
Not sure if that went thru

Hi again,

It has, I am just typing out my reply.

Speak to you again shortly,

Dr. B.

Ok, now if we have a tense belly, we do need to tread with care. It is possible to see all of these signs related to bacterial or viral gastroenteritis, but we can also see this with pancreatitis, harmful ingestions (which I am glad to see is less likely for Beau) and when we have underlying issues causing gut compression (ie enlarged organs, masses, etc). So, we do have a few concerns here.

Now if he can keep water down, I would note that there are some supportive care steps we can try at home to ease that nausea for him. To start, if he hasn’t just vomited (since otherwise we’d need to rest his stomach for a few hours first), then you can consider treating him with an antacid. Common OTC pet safe options would be:

* Pepcid (More Info/Dose @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/famotidine-pepcid)
*Zantac (More Info/Dose @ http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/ranitidine-hcl-zantac)

* Tagamet (More Info/Dose Here @http://www.petplace.com/article/drug-library/library/over-the-counter/cimetidine-hcl-tagamet)
Whichever you choose, we’d give this 20 minutes before offering food to allow absorption. Of course, do double check with your vet if he has any known health issues or is on any medications you haven't mentioned. Just to note, if we found his nausea too severe to keep this down, then that is usually a red flag that we need to bypass his mouth with injectable anti-vomiting medication from his vet.

Once that has had time to absorb and if he is more settled afterwards, then we can start him on a light/easily digestible diet. Examples you can use are cooked white rice with boiled chicken, boiled white fish, cottage cheese, or scrambled eggs (made with water and not milk).There are also OTC vet diets that can be used (ie Hill’s I/D or Royal Canin’ss ensitivity) too. The aim of these diets is that they will be better tolerated/absorbed by the compromised gut. Therefore, it should get more nutrients in and result in less GI upset. As long as improvement is being seen, I usually advise continuing this until the signs are settled, and then weaning him slowly back to his normal diet.

Overall, we do have a number of concerns for signs of this nature in a dog Beau's age. Since he hasn't likely eaten something harmful, we'd want to use the above to soothe his nausea and see if we can get him eating. Of course, if that tummy doesn't relax or we cannot get him settled by morning, then we'd want to have a check with his vet. They can pinpoint which issue is triggering his signs but also administer anti-nausea medication +/- antibiotics by injection to get him settled and back to normal as quickly as possible.

I hope this information is helpful.

If you need any additional information, do not hesitate to ask!

All the best,

Dr. B.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Please remember to rate my service once you have all the information you need as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. Thank you! : )

The dose of the antiacid will be on the links or would you recommend a dose?

Dosing is weight based and the links do provide the range for you to calculate based on his weight.

All the best,

Dr. B.

**Please remember to rate my answer when you are satisfied as this is how I am credited for assisting you today. IF you have any lingering questions or concerns, please stop and reply to me via the REPLY or CONTINUE CONVERSATION button withthe issue you have. I will be happy to continue further and do everything I can to provide you with the service you seek. Thank you. :)

Dr. B.
Dr. B.
Dr. B., Veterinarian