Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

I have a 9 year old female pug. She is blind and diabetic,

Customer Question
but otherwise in great health...
I have a 9 year old female pug. She is blind and diabetic, but otherwise in great health. She still loves to run and play outside with our other pug. Tonight she ate her dinner, had her insulin, and went outside to go potty. Normally she comes to the back yard and barks when she is ready to come in. I noticed it had been longer than usual and I went to find her. She is suddenly not putting any weight on her back right leg. She is allowing me to carefully move it and still trying to walk, but will not put any weight on the leg. She doesn't seem to be in any obvious pain, but she is a tough little dog. She only weighs 13lbs. I felt her hips and knees and it seems like the injured leg is slightly turned in towards her body. Any thoughts of what might be going on?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
Her respiration is slightly heavier than normal while resting. I am a licensed paramedic and was able to give her a small amount of trampoline for pain. It seems to be her knee. I tried to crate her but she fussed until I picked her up. I have 3 human children, but she is my fur baby. She was a medical rescue. She had a bladder stone that was causing internal bleeding. She was 12 months when we adopted her. I noticed the blood in her urine and she had emergency surgery within 24 hours of adopting her. I will do anything to help her.
Tramadol, 25mg @8:00 eastern time, not trampoline.
Answered in 1 hour by:
10/8/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr B, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you with this.....there are one of two things that are likely here: either we have a full tear of her ACL ligament or we have a problem with her knee cap. Either way she is going to have to be seen in person by a vet. She needs to have someone with good orthopedic skills examine her both awake and sedated. And she will also needs xrays. She can receive 25 mg of Tramadol every 8 hours for pain until you can get her to your vet. Please let me know if I can be of further help to you. Sincerely, DRB

I check my computer each night but will be online a little while longer tonight. Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much and do please let me know if you need anything else!

Thanks so much! She is sassy as ever and won't leave my side. We have a great vet here in Windermere, FL. I will have her seen ASAP. MANY THANKS!!!

Hey, you are more than welcome.......and let me know if you need further help!

Please hit rate my service and let me know if you need anything else. Sincerely, DRB

Please hit rate my service as that is the only manner in which I receive any compensation. Thank you very much, DRB

Dr B
Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian