Dr B
Dr B, Veterinarian
Experience:  DVM
27344366

My poodle recently has one eye removed due to glaucoma.

Customer Question

Customer: my poodle recently has one eye removed due to glaucoma. Today the other went blind but pressure was 14 when checked this morning. The opt specialist is at a conference until Monday. I have some tobramycin left, should I give that this weekend as the new blind eye is tarting to have discharge, thanks
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Have to wait until Monday to see the opthamology specialist and wanted to know if this would help with possible infection until then
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: absolutely
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am trying to avoid escalating eye infection while I have to wait until Monday to see the specialist and don't want to use the Tobramycin if it might harm him.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Took him to my regular vet as well this morning after the vet tech at the eye doctor said his pressure in the newly blind eye was 14. My regular vet said his blood pressure was fine, as was his temperature, and there was no evidence of anything wrong with the retina. There was nothing wrong with him but this eye issue. Seems this is heading down the same path as the other eye.
Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

HI this is DRB and I would be happy to help you. I am sorry to hear about your little dog's situation. The Tobramycin can do no harm to the eye, so if you want to use it that is no problem. My biggest concern is pain as you know glaucoma is very painful. If you have any pain medication at home it would be nice to give that. I am concerned though that something else might be going on if the pressure was really 14 mmHg this am. Though as you know pressures can go up in a matter of hours......I hope this helps you but please let me know if you need further help. I check my computer each night and I am happy to answer follow up questions. Please hit rate my service as that is the only way I am compensated. Thank you very much, DRB

Expert:  Dr B replied 1 year ago.

Please hit rate my service as this is the only way I am compensated. And please let me know if you need further help. Sincerely, DRB