Dr. Joey
Dr. Joey, Board Certified
Experience:  15 yrs in practice, specialist canine/feline medicine
20970409

My 3 yr old dog has subluxing patellar - she has some

Customer Question

My 3 yr old dog has subluxing patellar - she has some limping at times when she climbs on and off beds and couches- should she have surgery
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hello I am Dr. Joey. Thanks for trusting me to help you and your pet today. I am a licensed veterinarian with over 15 years of experience. I look forward to working with you.

I am sad to hear Yuki is having lameness associated with the luxation. With regard to surgery, generally once a dog is persistently symptomatic with the problem, then we recommend pursue surgery to fix before more permanent damage may occur to the joint. I worry the longer we wait the more likely the medial condylar cartilage will become excessively worn/damaged, and lesions to both the patella and femur with bone on bone contact associated with this problem may develop. There is also the possibility of concurrent cruciate ligament disease. I have seen many cases of concurrent cruciate and luxating patella issues as these patients age.

So, yes, I would recommend have a consultation for the surgery. This is one of those procedures best done by a veterinary surgeon and you do want to ask how much experience the surgeon has. There are several techniques to repair these and each come with their own possible complications, but usually when done by an experienced surgeon everything goes great and there is return to normal ambulation with no lameness.
I hope that helps.

Please keep me posted. I am always happy to answer followup questions. You can reply to this question at any time to submit a followup. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. If there’s anything else I can do, let me know – it’s been a pleasure working with you and I hope to assist you again soon! Kindly submit a rating as you exit our chat.

Expert:  Dr. Joey replied 1 year ago.

Hi, I am writing to check on Yuki. Please let me know if you have any further questions I may be of assistance with.