Dog Veterinary

Ask a Dog Vet and Get Answers to Your Dog Health Questions

Ask a Dog Veterinarian,

Dog Veterinary

We just returned from the store and found my 4-6 oz

Customer Question
container of coconut oil empty...
We just returned from the store and found my 4-6 oz container of coconut oil empty. She's a 65 pound German shepherd. I'm concerned.:(
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Dog Veterinary
10/7/2015
Dog Veterinarian: Dr. Altman, Veterinarian replied 2 years ago
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian

Welcome to Justanswer! I am Dr. Altman and happy to assist you both today!

I can understand your concern, my first priority is a concern with pancreatitis and as likely with your GSD anything out of the ordinary can result in gastroenteritis

If your dog ingested this within the last 1-2 hours then you can induce vomiting with 3% hydrogen peroxide 1 tsp per ten pounds (2 tbsp & 1/2 tsp) then walk around to mix it in the stomach and agitate the lining. If no vomiting within 10-15 minutes it can be repeated once only in hopes of inducing vomiting.

Hopefully we will bring a large portion of it up because pancreatitis at her age can be quite serious and it definitely would be best to avoid that scenario if at all possible. I will await your entry to discuss further with any additional questions...

If you have more questions or if I can help in any other way, please do not hesitate to ask! If you would like to accept my answer, please press RATE OUR CONVERSATION (I am not compensated in any other way). Bonuses are always welcome. Thanks!

If you have additional questions after you rate the question, you are welcome to request me for additional conversations if I am on-line or by beginning your question "Dr. Altman..." or "Dogdoc4u..." and others will leave the questions for me. Good luck to you both!!!

use regular hydrogen peroxide ? She's laying around and seems alert and originated. It was within the last hour so it hasn't been long. Should I allow her to drink water? We do have an emergency vet in the area if you think I should take her..she's super healthy and very young for her age.

Yes 3% hydrogen peroxide which is the regular one, not the formula for hair. It will take 3-6 hours before she will be clinical as this digests. No water it will dilute the peroxide...

I would first try to remove it from her system this way and if there is no change after the second attempt consider the veterinary er which can give stronger medication to induce vomiting as well as activated charcoal to block its absorption from the gut

is it considered a toxin? What will happen if she digests it?
Thank you for your time..

It will not cause organ failure or any other toxic effects but the pancreas is what helps absorb and metabolize fat so when an increase in fat is digested it can cause an inflammation of the pancreas which results in vomiting, reduced appetite, lethargy, increased salivation, abdominal discomfort. It can be difficult to treat once full force so it is something we should avoid if we can.

CLICK HERE for more information on pancreatitis

Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance to you both today!

Very likely she will have gi upset, vomiting, diarrhea, lethargy for 24-48 hours but there is a risk of pancreatitis due to the concentration of fat in the oil...

Good morning, I wanted to check in on you and your GSD after we spoke last night? How is she doing? Did she bring up any of the coconut oil? Any signs of gi upset?

I would love an update when you are able

Thank you for your advice. She actually is doing very well and has had 2 normal bowel movements. I just watched her all night and she seems good. I think it was less quantity injected than I thought .

Oh that's a huge relief :)

Thank you so much for the update, fingers crossed that she had no ill effects from ingesting the coconut oil! Good luck to you both, please let me know if I can be of any further assistance in the future!

If you were satisfied with our conversation please rate or accept on the top of the screen so I maybe compensated for my time. Thank you!

Hi Susan,
I'm just following up on our conversation about your pet. How is everything going?
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman
Dr. Altman, Veterinarian