Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

I have 6yo American Pitbull Terrier that has the following

Customer Question

Customer: Hi there, my name is***** and I have 6yo American Pitbull Terrier that has the following symptoms...
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: 1. She leaks pee when she's sleeping or even just resting. Her bed had a 8''inch diameter pee spot after laying down for 2 hours. And the last time she had gone potty before that was 3 hours before.
2. She's vomited 3 times today. Just food and transparent liquids with a little bit of grass that she usually eats when I walk her.
3. She keeps licking her vagina because of the leaking I'm assuming.
JA: OK got it. Last thing – JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $19) to post your type of question to Dog Veterinary Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. We can help you for less if you're not in a rush. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: Yes, I'm willing to wait for a bit. Would you give me an estimate of time just to be around?
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 1 year ago.

There are two main considerations in a dog such as yours. The first is a bacterial urinary tract infection and the second is a urethral incompetence - a weakness in her urethral sphincter and musculature. Urinary tract infection often is found concomitant with the urinary incontinence of urethral incompetence. The standard of care is to have her vet perform a urinalysis to first see if urinary tract infection is present. If so, a broad spectrum antibiotic is usually prescribed for 10-14 days and the urine is rechecked 2 days after the course of antibiotics has been completed to make sure that the urinary tract has been sterilized. If so, urinary continence may return. If it doesn't return or no urinary tract infection was ever documented, urethral incompetence is diagnosed and either DES or estriol - estrogenic compounds - or PPA - an alpha-adrenergic drug - is prescribed in an attempt to tighten up her musculature.

Less commonly, a dog may be drinking excessively and then forming excessive amounts of urine which then overfills the bladder resulting in incontinence. Her vet will ask if your dog has been drinking excessively and if so recommend diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests to see why that's so. Please respond with further questions or concerns if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much. But she's also been vomiting. She just threw up for the 4th time. A little bit of food and mostly whitish liquid.
Does that symptom mean anything?

I'm sorry I overlooked addressing her vomiting. Urinary tract infections can nauseate resulting in vomiting. Of course her vomiting might be unrelated to a urinary infection; there are many possible causes of vomiting. For now, fasting her for 12 hours but leaving her water down would be prudent. If drinking induces more vomiting, please replace her water with ice cubes for her to lick. If vomiting continued in spite of her being fasted, she'll need to be attended to by her vet who should proceed as I recommended and also treat your dog's vomiting with an injectable antiemetic and antacid (at least) and/or perform the additional diagnostics I mentioned above. Please continue our conversation if you wish.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you so much Dr Salkin. I'll do that. I just wanted to make sure that it didn't seem like something too serious.I'll take her to her vet tomorrow with these ideas in my head. Thanks again!RZ

You're quite welcome, Reinaldo. I can't set a follow-up in this venue and so would appreciate your returning to our conversation with an update - even after rating - at a time of your choosing.