Dr. Michael Salkin, Veterinarian
Experience:  University of California at Davis graduate veterinarian with 45 years of experience
55012488

Morning Doc... My 13 yr old lab went to vet yesterday

Customer Question

Morning Doc... My 13 yr old lab went to vet yesterday for a serious gas blockage. xrays were taken and showed a mass amount of gas and little food still there. Doc gave her the following: 1 Ambipen injection, 1 Buprenorphine Injection, 1 injection 61-80# ***** Flagyl tabs 500mg. When we got home, she could barely carry her hind legs. I assume due to the extreme gas. Panting very bad and steady for hours. This morning, gave her very little of another pets Intestinal canned food. Urine was fine but no bowl movement today. How ing will this possibly take for her to come around. Thank you.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Michael Salkin replied 2 years ago.

I'm sorry to hear of this with Lacy and I'm going to play devil's advocate. There's no indication for penicillin (Ambipen), buprenorphine is a potent narcotic analgesic but also slows the motility of the gastrointestinal tract - something I wouldn't want to do when my patient needs to pass something through her GI tract, and Flagyl is an antiinflammatory antibiotic useful when treating nonspecific gastroenteritis but no such diagnosis was made. In fact, can you tell me what was diagnosed which caused such an accumulation of gas? Were diagnostics in the form of blood and urine tests performed in addition to the X-rays? You've been left in the dark and so neither you nor I can prognosticate when Lacy might improve.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
First thanks for your response..... I know Lacy like a book. When she drops her head and starts panting constantly I knew there was something wrong. I brought her to Vet for the panting after I read that she may have eaten something toxic (she has done that before when she ate part of a mole outside). Her stomach was severely hard so knew something was not right. She moved her bowels 30 min before we got to vet and then she did it again when I let her out of car. Both movements were normal as was her urine that I saw. Clear and not smelly. IF iI knew what that Ambipen was before I agreed I never would have let vet give her that, but vet said it would ease her pain and help her relax. Did not as we were up all night panting. No blood work was done nor urine sample. Vet said that I should atch her and tat she would eventually pas the gas. Well...... she still is not herself. I think I should stop the Flagyl if you think so as well????? I asked vet here and he said that it was for her gastro work but now you have my wondering. Lacy is also a patient at the Nashville Emergency Hospital. I wonder if I should take her over there to see her Oncologist and specialist. She at one time last year had a cancer cell in her throat and was diagnosed that as well. When we went back 3 months later and every month till end of Sept, we are thrilled to find out that there is now no sign and her Oncologist and others there are just amazed and pleased. Dont know why her new blook work came back clean but I'm nit going to argue with that. :) Sorry. got off track..... so what do you suggest doc? Should I keep trying to walk her and hope that that breaks up the gas? Thanks and I await your reply.
Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Oops sorry....she had a slight fever as well yesterday when I brought her in

I regret that I'm not allowed to communicate with customers by phone. Please stay in this conversation. To answer you directly, I would take advantage of your good relationship with Lacy's specialist. I don't "watchful wait" a dog of Lacy's age for more than 24 hours. I'm necessarily concerned with her past history of cancer but don't know if hers were likely to metastasize. Do you recall the type of cancer found in her throat? (Yes, I would discontinue the Flagyl.)

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
The site said that I could pay more to speak via phone with you but that's ok.... I thank you for your time here. Her throat CA was from her esophagus. Tests had shown that there was a cell/growth and we all started to talk about what we would have to do next as it could metastasize at a very slow rate but still, they wanted to be sure . But I gotta tell ya doc..... her oncologist and those reading her blood work were just amazed that her levels were normal and further mri showed gone! So insofar as that..... all seems good. I will place a call to her specialist and Nashville Emer Hosp to check in with him like you suggest. In the meantime, I agree, I will stop the flagyl. Only gave her the 1 pill this AM so no more. Gotcha. I will watch her for the day and we ask her specialist to give me a call. I think I will also get the vet to send over Lacy's xrays so he, too can then see them. Doc..... thanks and please if there is anything else I should be doing let me know. If you could please confirm this email response I would highly appreciate it. I used this service once before and find once again that I really appreciate this offer from you guys. Thanks and I await your response. So does Lacy!! :)

I understand but my state board of veterinary examiners doesn't approve of phone calls...I'd be attempting to form a proper owner-pet-vet relationship which according to the board can't be done by phone. Mea culpa. The fact that the cancer was in her esophagus (another part of her GI tract) concerns me even more but there are many other possible etiologies for what you're currently seeing . Yes, pick up those X-rays on the way to the specialist. I would feed and water as usual as long as Lacy doesn't vomit what she ingests. I'm not sure what "confirm this email response" means. Please clarify.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks. Just confirming that you read this. I really appreciate it. I just called her vet's office and asked them to send the xrays and diago from yesterday. Can I send this to you since you've been here helping me out? I can have the vet's office send to you as well. Again, thanks doc. Let me know. Appreciate all your doing here. Maybe if you saw what was done yesterday that may help in what your thoughts are.

I'd be pleased to review whatever you could upload to our conversation. You can use the paperclip icon in the toolbar above your message box (if that icon is visible) or you can use an external app such as imgur.com or dropbox.com. ***@******.*** can help you if necessary. The site won't accept anything not sent directly from you.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Lacy's vet just said that the techs are in surgery right now and will have to send this after they get out. I can get them to send it to me and then I can forward to you but I don't want to hold up your time waiting right now as Im sure you are quite busy. If they have to first send to me, I will have to wait at their time frame. Once I receive this info can I recontact you? Would I then need to direct this to:***@******.*** ? Doc, I really appreciate your help like this.

No worries. I'll watch for your next post. Please stay in this conversation rather than opening up a new question. ***@******.*** isn't necessary unless you run into a problem.

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thanks doc!!

It's my pleasure. I may go hiking for a few hours but promise to reply as soon as I return if need be.

I'm just following up on our conversation about Lacy. How is everything going?