Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My dog seems to have something lodged in s throat. I doesn't

Customer Question

My dog seems to have something lodged in his throat. I doesn't appear to be kennel cough to me but I have only seen one other case of kennel cough with another dog which I effectively treated at home.. She is not coughing, she is more like trying to spit something up or out and she even tries to put her paw in her mouth to seemingly pull it out. I am a senior on a fixed income so there is no money for a Vet unless it's absolutely necessary.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Lola. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. Is she able to eat and drink? If there is anything stuck in her throat, she would not be able to swallow, or eat or drink, and her saliva would be running out of her mouth. If she can swallow a bit, and is not drooling excessively, there probably is no blockage in her throat.

There could be something stuck in her mouth, however. I do see dogs pawing at their mouths when a piece of bone or stick is caught in the roof of the mouth, behind the teeth, or even under a tonsil. It can cause gagging and spitting up as well.

It is very hard to see the whole mouth, behind and between teeth and under the tongue in an awake dog, and even harder to remove the object. They almost always need some sedation to find it and pull it out. Sometimes it is really stuck in there and takes some pulling, and you can't do this without being bitten!

So, it sounds like Lola does need to see a vet, if this it what it sounds like to you is going on with her. If you need help with vet bills, this website lists some places that might be helpful to you:

https://www.aspca.org/about-us/faq/financial-help-my-vet-bills

Let me know if I can help you with anything else. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

How is Lola doing?