Doc Sara
Doc Sara, Veterinarian
Experience:  I am a dog and cat veterinarian with a lifetime of experience in our family veterinary hospital.
23511967

My Springer Spaniel is 13. Earlier she was breathing heavy

Customer Question

My Springer Spaniel is 13. Earlier she was breathing heavy and trembling I got dressed to take her to the 24 he clinic and when I came to get her she was asleep, not trembling breathing a little heavier than normal but not much. Do you think it is ok to take her to the vet she knows in the morning?
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 2 years ago.

Good morning- I'm Dr. Sara. I'm a licensed vet who works exclusively with dogs and cats. I'm sorry for the delay in our response - sometimes there aren't many Experts available in the overnight hours. I realize that you probably don't need our help at this point but I just got online for the morning and I don't want to leave you hanging.

If her breathing is easy and not labored and her gums are pink and moist, it's probably OK to wait until the morning. If she's in any sort of distress or her gums are pale or blue/purple in color then I'd get to the ER ASAP.

I would rather you didn't rate this post yet - feel free to reply with an update on how she is doing and we can continue to chat if you'd like.

Thanks!

~Dr. Sara

Customer: replied 2 years ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** were helpful if I find myself in the middle of the night like that again. I got her into our vet this morning and they did chest X-rays and blood work. The X-rays showed arthritis but heart and lungs looked good. Blood work comes back tomorrow. The vet thinks it may have been an allergic reaction but she put her on Temaril-P and Clavamox because of all the coughing and gagging
Expert:  Doc Sara replied 2 years ago.

I'm so glad to hear that her chest films were normal - thanks for the update :) I sure hope that the meds help her out - please let me know if I can answer any other questions for you :)

~Dr. Sara