Rebecca, Dog Veterinarian
Experience:  More than 30 years of companion animal practice.
11877925

My shi-zu hasa large cyst on s leg which is red and bleeds i

Customer Question

my shi-zu hasa large cyst on his leg which is red and bleeds i have taken him to the vet 3 times cream antibiotics one vet wants to remove it one wants to just keep on with cream etc as he is 15 i dont want him messed about if you know what i mean.
Submitted: 2 years ago via Dog-Health-Guide.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

I am sorry to hear you are worried about Benjamin. I am a veterinarian and will do my best to help. My name is Rebecca.

How long has the growth been there? The best way to know the best way to treat any growth is to first determine what it is. If he were mine, I would do a FNA (fine needle aspiriation), to use a tiny needle to get a few cells from inside the growth, and look at them under a microscope. Once we know if this is an infection, a benign growth, or a tumor we know the best treatment.

I can understand your not wanting to put him through a lot or be messed with much, but FNA is quick and easy and then you will know what you are dealing with.

For excessive bleeding, the Chinese herb Yunnan Baiyao may be helpful if applied to the bleeding, or taken internally.

Let me know what else I can help with or answer. Rebecca

Expert:  Rebecca replied 2 years ago.

How is Benjamin doing? Can I help with anything else?