Dr. Stacy
Dr. Stacy, Veterinarian
Experience:  10 years of experience in general practice.
21779527

Our chi- has been diagnosed with IBD. He is 7, and weighed

Customer Question

Our chi-weenie has been diagnosed with IBD. He is 7, and weighed 12 pounds last month, and now weighs 8 pounds. he has been vomiting and has had diarhea for 3 weeks. he does not want to eat. He vomits meds, and we are lost.
Category: Dog Veterinary
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your question. My name is***** I have been a small animal veterinarian for 13 years. I do have some questions that will give me a better understanding about what is going on so that I can answer you questions.

First, I understand that he had surgical biopsies done to diagnose the IBD. Were there any other abnormalities on blood work (such as low proteins, etc). Second, what treatments are you doing now? What medications? What diet?

Dr. Stacy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He had normal blood work two weeks ago when he had the surgery. In the last two weeks he was given an anti-depressant, pain meds, a med to boost appetite, and another med to prevent vomiting. The problem is he does not eat. Most of the time he vomits the meds, because there is nothing in his stomach, and the meds themselves make him sick. We got special dogfood that is supposed to be full of nutrients and protein etc, and he won't eat it. If we try to force feed him, he will eat a small fraction of the food, and will usually vomit it up anyway. He is skin and bone now, and we think we have exhausted hope. The vet who did the biopsy says the dog does not have cancer, and there was hope. But clearly, the dog is starving. I guess we were hoping for a miracle second opinion.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

One thing that I don't see in your list of medications is steroids.... IBD often produces massive inflammation in the intestine and steroids can be so helpful in bringing that inflammation down. You have to wait about 10 days after surgery to start them because they slow healing, but you could start that now. I would also start Vitamin B12 injections. Most IBD dogs are vitamine B deficient. And if the medication you are using to prevent vomiting isn't working, try another one. Try one that can be given by injection. I like Cerenia injectable.

Diet can be helpful in managing IBD long term, but in the short term you have to focus on getting the vomiting under control and the vomiting stopped. Ask your veterinarian bout vitamin B12 and some steroids. If they don't help then I might start to lose hope, but at this point you haven't done the most important thing... get the inflammation treated.

Dr. Stacy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks for the reply. The dog is being given injections of Cerenia. It doesn't help. He has been given prednisone, and he vomits the prednisone too.
Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.

Honestly, I have to think there is something more than IBD going on.... IBD responds quickly and completely to prednisone and certain controls the vomiting associated with IBD very effectively. It sounds like you have had a good workup with appropriate treatment, but I would really think something is being missed. You could try taking him to a university hospital if there is one near you for a second opinion. They may pick up on something that your veterinarian is missing.

Best wishes!

Expert:  Dr. Stacy replied 1 year ago.
I'm just following up on our conversation about Baby. How is everything going?
Dr. Stacy